Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my DOT number says BEYKUE111907 When were they made and how old is considered old for tires ? The tires are BF Goodrich all Terrain T/A ko. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
I consider a tire to old when it is dry rotted and they start cracking or seperating.

When I bought my motorhome all the forums say not to run a tire over 5 years old. My motorhome has a tire date of 03 on it, 8 years old, and I ran that thing to FL and back with no problems. They show no dry rot, no checking or cracking on the tires. I'm going to keep running them till I feel they are unsafe.

I think you will be fine if the tires are not showing any issues.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
its usually a 4 digit number the first 2 digits being the week number and the second 2 being the year

·
Registered
665 Posts
Ive got the same BFG A/T's on mine there ten years old about 60,000 mi. Still running them but I'll probably change them out next year.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
got me some wrangler m/t's back from 2002/2003 from california monkey, nobody around heare would mount anything over 5 years old

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
I've ran a tire that was 20 yrs old. Sat all it's life on the back of my truck, in the sun. They say not to run a tire that is older than 6 years old. I do what I want.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Northerguy, They are not beginning to crack. They are in perfect condition because they have been in the garage, and ballanced for 2 years {just getting over a bad bout of depression fwiw} and was wondering about tire age and how to tell.... Thanks for all the reply's fellas-

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
i used to run used (old dry rotted) 35's on my bronco. kept having problems with air excaping through the cracks in the sidewall, and problems with tires developing "bubbles", or the tread coming off.....

i figure if they are dry rotted badly (big cracks) then they need replacement.
if not rotted, i'll run them until they are nice and smooth (just not in the rain) then replace them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Everyone gets to make their own decisions when it comes to replacing tires. Sometimes tires still look good when the wear is still light. But tires harden over time and can become serious hazards. I purchased my '96 bronco less that 2 years ago. On the 5th week after purchase I made a 2 hour trip, doing 70-80 mph. About 30 min from my destination my rear passenger BFG AT exploded. It sounded like a canon had just gone off and it shook the hell out if the truck. I got out to inspect the flat tire and noticed the steel belt ripped my factory step off (shredded in half), bent my new custom exhaust straight down, and did some damage to the rear fender area. I had tread marks up the side of my white fender up to the window.

This was the first time trying to use my spare, which was safely locked on with a lock I could not find a key to. AAA towed me to discount tires. Upon inspection I was told the tire was about 8 yrs old, even though the tread was at about 60%. The old technician told me he'd only seen one worse, from a Ford ranger. A rear passenger tire blowout had ripped the bed off and totaled that pickup. Again it was an old steel belt that spontaneously exploded. The cost of my repairs hit around $3k including a new set of tires. And that's how my Bronco got rock sliders, fiberglass steps were too hard to find. I wish I had replaced the old rubber with fresh ones before my ordeal! Although I do like my rock sliders, I don't think you want to acquire them the way I did...

·
4:20 Enthusiast!
3,277 Posts
I was given a set of tires and rims for my truck after I firs got it.
They were real nice Michelins with a few small cracks in the side wall.
I had one blow out on me as my wife and I were pulling off the highway.
I am glad the tire blew well after slowing down.I blew the sidewall right out of it.
I bought new tires about 45 minutes later.lol
Its really not worth the risk.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I just replaced my tires on my F100 last week. Not sure of the date code, but I bought them in 1998 or 1999. They were just now starting to show dryrot cracking. Tread was still good. I would have replaced them years ago but I only put about 1000 miles per year on that truck, mainly not venturing farther than 10 or 20 miles from home. For a DD, if you have to ask if your tires are to old, then they need to be replaced.

Up until recently, I had my original 92 Bronco's spare tire sitting in my garage still mounted and holding air. I heard something similar to a gunshot one night over the summer, went in the garage to find the tire's tread had completely separated from the carcass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts