Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who looks at one can see that they are built like Sherman tanks, but how are they with safety? I'm not too worried about collisions but rollovers. Do I need to install a roll bar for the back? I want to use mine for college, yes this ugly thing!

The story behind it is long so if you want that PM me, but basically all it needs is new bushings, fix the rear main oil leak, rebuild the exhaust system. Has a strong 400, a good C6 auto, a solid frame and body with no rust just a little surface rust here and there. Everyone's telling me to sell it for an import! No it is sentimental it belonged to my grandfather and I'm not going to settle for a imported 4 cylinder Honda. I live in Montana and need 4wd snow gets very deep here and I don't want to screw around with a silly front wheel drive! Thanks for the input:thumbup

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
Very nice truck! Keep the paint job... I could see myself rolling down the interstate in my bellbottom pants, jean jacket, curly white guy afro and rose-colored aviators jamming to Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown" album.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
they are horrible, I will come pick that up from you so you can drive a much newer safer vechile

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
youll be fine in it. i moved up here to the mountains of NC from the ocean and and i've put 18k miles on my 89 since july. never once did i feel like i was in danger of rolling. but none the less it wouldnt hurt to throw in a roll bar.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do they still make roll bars that you can buy like the ones from the factory? It had a roll bar at one time because the holes are still in the floorboards. It would be nice to find a roll bar that would fit over the existing holes, though I'm not sure if it was aftermarket or factory? PO projects, gotta love them

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
Look around at some vendors or at some places like JBG or Duff, I am sure they sell them. My 79 has one of the stock bars in it it but not what I would want roll around on. Get something after market or build one if thats what your wanting.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Honestly, they're not safe at all. They're pretty tough, but it's going to bash the everloving shit outta you in a crash. They're not so hot on rollovers either really.

They're REALLY easy to steal too if you're worried about that.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
lets see, it's 5,000 pounds of steel, and it has a frame (non unibody) which wont crush easily (no crumpling). if it were to collide with any car, i'd much rather be in the bronco. if you run it into a tree drunk, and you're not wearing you're seatbelt, the non padded interior might bruise you up a bit.

weight = safety IMO. (at least, 90% of the time, and 100% of the time when it's against another car) take a look at some insurance company statistics on this for proof.
safety gadgets, like airbags and crumple zones, are no comparison to added inertia and strength.

a roll over is the only weakness i see, as you said there is no roll bar currently installed.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Just don't take corners and curves like a jackass and you don't have to worry about rolling over. They don't just flop over randomly on their own, it's driver stupidity.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
exactly!! :thumbup

I'm not worried about rolling over or getting in a crash, just other morons on Montanan highways, there are lots of them. Plus my Bronco weighs 6400 lbs according to the tag inside the door, so any cars on the road would probably not fair too well if they collided with my Bronc.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
UGLY, WHAT THE HELL ARE TALKING ABOUT???? That truck is sweet! Everything hopper has said is true, but if i had to choose, id rather be in the bronco than in anything that gets hit by a bronco. As far as a rollover, id say that unless you a bumbass kid and trying to drift and such, you should be okay. I have had several bronco's and have never managed to flip one over, and i have done some stupid stuff over the years. Allways keep a good set of tires under it, and keep up with the front suspention and i think you'll be fine. I will point one thing out about old rigs....they are payed for and you can work on them your self. Insurance is cheaper, and even old people like them! And, it forever gives you the phrase, " i have my top off, now its your turn!" to chicks....only chicks too dude!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts