Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

How stiff should a new drag link be?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  bronco12372 
#1 ·
Hello,
I just purchased a new front steering drag link (the longest one with the hole in it.) It's an AC Delco Professional Grade drag link.

There's no slop in the ball/stud but I can move it around with my thumb. It seems like I should really have to force it to move.

Did I get a bad one? Or is this normal?

#2 ·
Stop overthinking everything. Dude. These joints are designed to move.

This post has been deleted
#3 ·
TheUnforgiven said:
Stop overthinking everything. Dude. These joints are designed to move.
Heh, you know me, I overthink everything. But it's also because I want to make sure what little hard earned money I have is well spent.
I know they're designed to move, but how much is the question. It just didn't seem *tight*.

That's what I was wondering about. It seems like I should at least have to put some effort into moving it.

If there's nothing wrong with it, fine, but I'd rather swap it out/exchange it if something's not right before I spend the time installing and the $60 for an alignment. :thumbup

#4 ·
If they are super loose and have little to no resistance ask to have it swapped out. However they are supposed to move with a
little stiffness. They shouldn't be stupid tight either.

#6 ·
Just to ease my mind, I took it down to the local shop that I go to. The guy was surprised it was new and gave it a big thumbs down. He said they normally have to brace it with something else to get them to move into place when installing them.

I'll get an exchange.

#7 ·
Okay, exchanged it and the second one was just as sloppy. (Seriously, I could move it around with my thumb like a joystick on a game controller). AC Delco is normally good stuff, the ball joints I just got from them are great.

Sent it back and got my money back and ordered a MOOG replacement. It was so tight I had to use both hands to move it around. Much better. Should make a big difference in my steering.

Glad I was over thinking it. :D

#8 ·
:goodfinge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.