Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install a 4 inch lift and put 33's on either 15X10 or 16X10 rims. My question is to anyone who would know how tall would the Bronco become after the lift and tires :confused: ?I park in a parking garage downtown and the height limit is 6'10''.
 

·
Former owner of Shadofax
Joined
·
17,038 Posts
96BroncoEB said:
I would like to install a 4 inch lift and put 33's on either 15X10 or 16X10 rims. My question is to anyone who would know how tall would the Bronco become after the lift and tires :confused: ?I park in a parking garage downtown and the height limit is 6'10''.
Don't come back to me after the lift and beeaatcchhh that I was wrong.....

But my guess is you will end up between 79 and 80". You will likely be slightly taller when the lift is first installed.
 

·
scrounger extrordinaire
Joined
·
4,775 Posts
hey, my 79 w/ 4" lift & 36s is about 79"-80" high. thats not on level ground.
 

·
The Anti Yam!
Joined
·
22,680 Posts
My 86 with a 3" body lift and 35" bfg's stands at 6'-8" at it's highest point.

4" suspension on 33"s should be about the same.

But remember the parking garage height may not always be right.

My company used to be in building with a parking garage that mesures 6'-10 so I whent and mesured a fiew spots what I got was inbetween 6'-9" and 7'
from floor to cieling. So I might of gatten away with it, but 1" was just a little to close for my taste. So I used a seperate parking lot next door.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thejuice said:
Don't come back to me after the lift and beeaatcchhh that I was wrong.....

But my guess is you will end up between 79 and 80". You will likely be slightly taller when the lift is first installed.
Cool, nice picture of your rig @ the coast. I'm from Oregon too, only alittle inland, OC to be exact.
 

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
Joined
·
15,186 Posts
My parking garage for work is the same height as yours, 6'10'' high and my '92 with 4 inch suspension lift and 33's fits in. I think I have about 3 or 4 inches of clearance at the lowest point of the garage. But really what you need to do is take a tape measure and measure from the lowest point in the garage and than compare it with your rig's height. Keep in mind to take speed bumps into account as they will add a couple of inches. It's a PITA, I know. Since I'm looking at adding another 3 or 4 inches of lift to my Bronco, I might run into a slight problem. Good luck.
 

·
scrounger extrordinaire
Joined
·
4,775 Posts
yeah, actually the sonic close to where i live says 7'4" and toward the front of it i cannnot get up under it (i have a light bar too) and if i go to the stall at the back i can drive under all the way and have 4" til the lights would touch. i still almost need a little stick to push the button and order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gacknar said:
My 86 with a 3" body lift and 35" bfg's stands at 6'-8" at it's highest point.

4" suspension on 33"s should be about the same.

But remember the parking garage height may not always be right.

My company used to be in building with a parking garage that mesures 6'-10 so I whent and mesured a fiew spots what I got was inbetween 6'-9" and 7'
from floor to cieling. So I might of gatten away with it, but 1" was just a little to close for my taste. So I used a seperate parking lot next door.

I also thought of a body lift only w/33's. How much time should I allocate to get this done? Also, did you have to do any special work with the brakelines, front suspension, etc?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jermil01 said:
My parking garage for work is the same height as yours, 6'10'' high and my '92 with 4 inch suspension lift and 33's fits in. I think I have about 3 or 4 inches of clearance at the lowest point of the garage. But really what you need to do is take a tape measure and measure from the lowest point in the garage and than compare it with your rig's height. Keep in mind to take speed bumps into account as they will add a couple of inches. It's a PITA, I know. Since I'm looking at adding another 3 or 4 inches of lift to my Bronco, I might run into a slight problem. Good luck.

Are your 33's on 15's or 16 inch rims. I know if I go 16X10 rims with 33's it will be taller then the 15 inch rims.
 

·
The Anti Yam!
Joined
·
22,680 Posts
96BroncoEB said:
Are your 33's on 15's or 16 inch rims. I know if I go 16X10 rims with 33's it will be taller then the 15 inch rims.
A 33" tall tire mesrues the same weather it's on a 15", 16" or 17" wheel
 

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
Joined
·
15,186 Posts
Even so it would only be by an inch..these are the stock rims that came on my rig, I believe they're 15 inches.

 

·
The Anti Yam!
Joined
·
22,680 Posts
96BroncoEB said:
I also thought of a body lift only w/33's. How much time should I allocate to get this done? Also, did you have to do any special work with the brakelines, front suspension, etc?

A lot of people on this sight do not like body lifts, and they have there resons and I will not argue with them.

But in my opinion a body lift done corectly (and if you are not doing super Extreem ofroading) is ok.

But you must under stand it only raises your body the only actual ground clearance you get is from the larger tires wich is not alot becouse if you have a 29" tall tire and switch to a 33" tall tire your axles anly get 2" higher off the ground.

When I did my body lift I had to relocate my fan shroud, extend the slot in the floor my 4x4 shift lever sticks thrue, weld a three inch section into the automatic shift linkage, Install a borgson stering shaft, Cut my front frame horns and weld them 3" higher then reinforce them to relocate the front bumper and relocate the rear bumper 3" higher.

If you have the mony by the suspension kit.

The only reason mine has a body lift is becouse I put it on when I was 18 (9 years ago) and couldnt offord\didnt know any better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,078 Posts
even with a suspension lift you dont get more clearance. the only way to get more clearance under your axle is with bigger tires.
 

·
The Anti Yam!
Joined
·
22,680 Posts
84brownbronco said:
even with a suspension lift you dont get more clearance. the only way to get more clearance under your axle is with bigger tires.
True but with a suspension lift your frame and everything on it gains ground clearance.
 

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
Joined
·
15,186 Posts
No, Brownbronco is right, the only way to gain more clearance is with bigger tire, to accomplish fitting bigger tires, you need the suspension or body lift or combination thereof. The suspension lift will do nothing to raise the height of the lowest point on your rig which is the bottom of your pumpkin.
 

·
Former owner of Shadofax
Joined
·
17,038 Posts
96BroncoEB said:
Cool, nice picture of your rig @ the coast. I'm from Oregon too, only alittle inland, OC to be exact.

There are a number of us here in the Portland area...so once you get the lift on, and if you have an interest in some wheelin', give us a shout.
 

·
The Anti Yam!
Joined
·
22,680 Posts
jermil01 said:
No, Brownbronco is right, the only way to gain more clearance is with bigger tire, to accomplish fitting bigger tires, you need the suspension or body lift or combination thereof. The suspension lift will do nothing to raise the height of the lowest point on your rig which is the bottom of your pumpkin.

Uh thats what I said.

Maybe I should clarify what I said.

I told brownbronco he was right but.

A suspension lift will lift every thing attached to the frame higher off the axles
the frame and every thing on it. I.E. the tranny, engine, transfer case and the body will be raised off the axles. This does increes the frames height making it less likly to high center.

The axles will only be lifted by the bigger tire size.

I think maybe I wasnt clear enuf with what I meant the first time, sorry :toothless
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top