Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I got bored the other day and decided to install some axle breathers on my 91 XLT. It's probably a good thing I did, considering all the rain we've had here in Texas over the last few weeks.

(This "how to" is in progress, some of the pics are temporarily missing and will be replaced in short order, thanks for understanding admins)

SO for starters my rear axle breather was less of a breather and more of a funnel for incoming water.

It was time to fix the missing hose so I went to O'Rileys down the street and picked up some 5/16 carburetor fuel hose (it was all they had). I ended up needing about 15 feet of it.

Here's what you'll need:
15' 5/16 hose, 5/16 vacuum tee, small hose clamps, breather cap.

(Picture coming)

Next I needed to figure out where the heck to mount the breather. I decided to mount it in the engine compartment next to the air box. However, there wasn't a great place to mount it. However the previous owner had pretty much pulled all the relays out of the plastic housing next to the box so the small plastic shroud next to the stock air box can be removed.

That's it with the relays zip tied to it:

One the shroud was removed I had a great place to mount the breather.

Pretty sweet, no? Once I had the final location of the breather mapped out I went to work under the truck at the rear axle.

Fun fact: if your truck has dual rear exhaust you need to make sure that the hose doesn't rest against the exhaust pipe when the axle is at rest, however, the hose can't be pulled so far away from the axle that it kinks and won't let air flow through. I ended up with this:

I ended up needing to run the vacuum line along the inner part of the drivers side frame rail:

make sure you're not letting the hose rest next to any of the drive shafts and just for good measure I didn't tie off to any of the fuel or break lines. Call me paranoid but I don't want those zip ties vibrating their way through the fuel line and causing a fire.

I routed the hose up into the engine bay and added a 5/16" Tee to the line in order to give myself a place to attach the front axle. Like so:

Here's how the front axle looked once the line was installed:

(Picture coming)

I ran the hose from the front axle up through the center engine brace next to the oil filter:

I did this because it gave the hose the best place to move up and down with suspension articulation.

I attached the line from the front axle to the previously attached breather line from the back and then I bolted the breather to the metal bracket at the air box.

In order to attach the breather to the bracket I used special zip ties that have bolt/screw holes cast into their tips.

(Photo coming)

Once it was done I cleaned up some of the zip tie ends under the truck and this is what I ended up with.

Eventually I'll make some breathers for the E40d and the Transfer case to attach to another breather that I'll bolt next to this one.

If any of you have questions or see something I missed, I'd be happy to talk.

Thanks for reading!

·
Banned
5,078 Posts
Rain has no effect on the axle breathers. :thumbup Regardless of the weather, the axles aren't built to be submerged. So if you drive the hubs below the water line, you'll probably get water inside, even with extended breathers. Same for the trans & t-case. The factory rear axle breather nipple's ID is much smaller than its OD, so even with the hose broken off, it doesn't collect much water. Emissions/vapor/transmission cooler hose is better suited to this application than fuel hose. A zip-tie could never wear through a factory fuel or brake lines. Tee-ing vent lines is OK only for things that use the same fluid; don't tee an axle vent into the transmission, or you could contaminate one with the other if they ever overflow into the vent up to the Tee.

You should get that oil pressure wire away from the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rain has no effect on the axle breathers. :thumbup Regardless of the weather, the axles aren't built to be submerged. So if you drive the hubs below the water line, you'll probably get water inside, even with extended breathers. Same for the trans & t-case. The factory rear axle breather nipple's ID is much smaller than its OD, so even with the hose broken off, it doesn't collect much water. Emissions/vapor/transmission cooler hose is better suited to this application than fuel hose. A zip-tie could never wear through a factory fuel or brake lines. Tee-ing vent lines is OK only for things that use the same fluid; don't tee an axle vent into the transmission, or you could contaminate one with the other if they ever overflow into the vent up to the Tee.

You should get that oil pressure wire away from the exhaust manifold.

1. I know it's not super practical at this point, I just did this because I was bored :thumbup. But once my D60 goes up front I plan on installing these:
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-12533854-dana-60-front-axle-tube-seals.html

However I'm honestly still looking for something that will help with sealing up a 10.25. I know timken makes a seal kit but i'm wondering how good it is. I'm sure I'll figure something out.

2. it's been raining non stop here in texas for the last month so it's not the rain i'm worried about its the flooding that the rain has created near my house. :whiteflag Seriously, it needs to stop raining.

3. You're 100% correct, i'm not planning on teeing the trans or transfer into the same line, i've already got a separate breather cap for that setup.:rockon

4. Good to know about the fuel lines, I guess i'm just paranoid.

5. I've already moved that wire way the hell away from the manifold. But good catch, THANKS!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,206 Posts
I have three breathers, one each for the front and rear and one for the tranny..the tube from the rear runs along the frame rail and up the fire wall, the front along the brake line...same with the tranny breather line..

They're mounted right below the wiper motor...

I can't speak for others, but if your axle seals are in good condition, you can easily drive through water well above the hubs without having to worry about water getting in your diff..

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have three breathers, one each for the front and rear and one for the tranny..the tube from the rear runs along the frame rail and up the fire wall, the front along the brake line...same with the tranny breather line..

They're mounted right below the wiper motor...
Just curious, why did you do two different breathers for the axles?

Also, do you have pictures of your breather mounts? Did you just drill them into the firewall?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,206 Posts
Just curious, why did you do two different breathers for the axles?

Also, do you have pictures of your breather mounts? Did you just drill them into the firewall?
Don't know why I used a breather for each..guess I could have saved some $$ having to buy one less..

here is the best pic I could dig up..I used a piece of angles aluminum and drilled holes for the breathers, then another hole to mount using one of the bolts for the wiper motor.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I can't speak for others, but if your axle seals are in good condition, you can easily drive through water well above the hubs without having to worry about water getting in your diff..
Many years ago I got a Scout II stuck on the side of a river. They river athority raised the leval in the river above my hood over night. I ended up not getting it out the next day and they flooded it again. I would say it was under water 16 hours. Engine, tranny and gas tank were full of water. No water in the diffs. I believe some water got in the wheel bearings because they went out in about six months. But I have no fear driving in water for a few minutes.

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,715 Posts

I am with you Jer, I too ran 4 Breathers... And we both know we have had Our Bronco's threw some deep waters in Ocala :histerica

I agree if your seals are bad, you will get water in regardless, this is why whenever I went threw any deep holes, I would make sure the fluids were not contaminated with water or mud...

Racer, You are not kidding about this rain here!!! :whiteflag

Oh yeah and before I forget those exposed wires are covered in wire looms... :rockon

Thanks,
Allcruisen :imp :usa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts