Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear shocks on my bronco have a 2' lift. Only problem is my bronco has no lift. So to get away from the "Funny Car" look how can i change these puppies out? I do not have a lift but would buy a jack if that would do it. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Only problem is my bronco has no lift.
So why does your bronco info on the left there say you have a 3" lift?

Shocks do not provide lift. I think you may be confusing some terms.

Do you mean leaf springs? Like your rear leafs provide 2" of lift but the front has none?

Well if it has a 2" add-a-leaf you can just take it out. Or you may need some 2" leveling coils for the front cause they are saggin.

To remove the rear leaf springs get a Haynes manual and follow the recommended procedures.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
The rear shocks on my bronco have a 2' lift. Only problem is my bronco has no lift. So to get away from the "Funny Car" look how can i change these puppies out? I do not have a lift but would buy a jack if that would do it. Thanks, Mike.
That makes no sense.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Truck looks normal to me in your avatar... Maybe you could provide some pictures of the "funny car" look. That'd probably help.

edit: Oh and by the way, it is normal to have your nose sit a little lower. Not necessarily 2 inches but still. It's normal in a truck. The idea is if you load up the back or tow something you will be level(ish) instead of looking at the sky or blinding oncoming traffic with your headlights.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
edit: Oh and by the way, it is normal to have your nose sit a little lower. Not necessarily 2 inches but still. It's normal in a truck. The idea is if you load up the back or tow something you will be level(ish) instead of looking at the sky or blinding oncoming traffic with your headlights.
yup and nose high can do terrible things to your handling and steering

this looks fine though, also i didn't know monroe made lifts

or are they maybe load assist shocks? but i wouldn't think they'd lift it at all

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats my fault. Well when I bought the truck the guy told me it has a 2-3 inch lift. The tires were so messed up in the front that my mechanic had to put in stock springs in the front to level out the tires that were v pitched. So now the truck is on a slight angle. All of my pics are old from when it had a 2-3 inch lift. So how can I tell if I have an add-a-leaf kit on my rear springs? I'm sorry about the confusion, this is my bronco and my first car. I dont have much knowlege of auto mechanics. Sorry for the confusion.

P.S. As for the lift thing. I bought this from a used auotparts dealer. He didnt say much about the truck. Monroe is whats on the shocks so I assumed it was the lift company. Sorry. :doh

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Thats my fault. Well when I bought the truck the guy told me it has a 2-3 inch lift. The tires were so messed up in the front that my mechanic had to put in stock springs in the front to level out the tires that were v pitched. So now the truck is on a slight angle. All of my pics are old from when it had a 2-3 inch lift. So how can I tell if I have an add-a-leaf kit on my rear springs? I'm sorry about the confusion, this is my bronco and my first car. I dont have much knowlege of auto mechanics. Sorry for the confusion.

P.S. As for the lift thing. I bought this from a used auotparts dealer. He didnt say much about the truck. Monroe is whats on the shocks so I assumed it was the lift company. Sorry. :doh
Can you clearify that? Why would the mechanic remove your springs and put stock ones in

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My mechanic said that the only way to get the tire properly aligned would be if he put stock springs in. I didnt get it either. He said they were the wrong size or too big. They are lift springs so the should be bigger so i dont know.

Here is an updated picture:

You can see the back is higher than the front.

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
can we get a shot of the rear springs?....one way to check for an all is look for a leaf that is thinner and the ends will look a little different then the rest of the pack, a pic will let us see if you have a lift block or not.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I second this... He says there is a three inch... But there is no lift... Then it says its a two in lift and change you mind again and say that there is no lift?

I meant I dont have a autolift to lift the truck and take the springs out. Like in a garage. Sorry. I proofread this too. I didnt mean to confuse everyone. =/

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
I meant I dont have a autolift to lift the truck and take the springs out. Like in a garage. Sorry. I proofread this too. I didnt mean to confuse everyone. =/
you don't need a lift, you should be able to do most everything on jackstands
does one of the leaves looke newer than the rest in each pack?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I know I'm not that sharp but that looks like lift blocks to me.

·
Call an amberlamps!
1,349 Posts
I know I'm not that sharp but that looks like lift blocks to me.[/QUOTE]

Yup, thats a lift block. If you want to lower your rear end to stock just jack up the truck and remove those bad boys...

Shouldn't take but a half hour to an hour.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Looks like 2 extra inches to me...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So where should I position the jack and I have to tighten those u bolts down right?

Lastly the front shocks are from when the truck was lifted but the springs are stock, is my truck going to pitch the other way now?

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
So where should I position the jack and I have to tighten those u bolts down right?

Lastly the front shocks are from when the truck was lifted but the springs are stock, is my truck going to pitch the other way now?
pull the rear tires...position the jack stands under the frame of the bronco...lower the axle as low as possible with the jack, to take the tension off the springs, loosen u-bolts, pull out blocks, tighten u-bolts I would recommend that you replace the u-bolts with new ones, dont tighten down the u-bolts until both blocks are removed and the axle is realigned with the pin in the spring, (it will make it easier to line up)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I have too take the tires off?

Where can I get new u bolts?

What is the pin in the spring?

Sorry for all the questions, I have never done it before. I know it shows too.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts