Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here, so hopefully you'll excuse my ignorance... I searched for what I'm looking for, but the results were not quite applicable to what I have and what I want to do. Here's the scoop.

I have a 1981 Ford Bronco with a 351w, C6 trans, NP208 Tcase, pretty standard stuff. I have a 6" suspension lift with 35x13.50x15 tires. The axles are solid Dana 44 in front and Ford 9 in the rear with 4.10 gears.

The motor was supposedly rebuilt 20K miles before I bought it, and it is pretty much stock. It does have an Edelbrock Performer Intake, 4bb Holley carb (that sucks) and hooker headers. The exhaust is single 2 1/4.

I want to use this truck both on and off road, but the Holley carb has to go!

I'm on a budget, and want to spend as little as possible. I want to go tbi so that I can reuse the intake that is already on the truck.

I was hoping to find a tbi set up in a junk yard, but I don't know what cars/trucks I should be looking for, and what parts i need to pull.

Did ford have a car truck that had a 351w that was tbi or cfi?

Also it seems that the gm set up is more available, if I went that route what do I need to do with the computer/ chip to make it run with the 351w?

Would an HEI distributor work with the tbi?

Thanks for your help!

·
not banned
5,970 Posts
get the back issues of bronco driver magazine where Ryan wrote up a series on converting to EFI, on a budget....mostly from JY parts.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You can find an '86 or newer 351w with fuel injection, but it won't be TBI as the 351w is MPFI. I picked up an '89 F250 with a 351w as a parts truck for the EFI. To go the stock route you'll need the complete upper manifold (throttle body, fuel rail, injectors, etc) the lower manifold, the TFI distributor, the engine computer and most of the wiring harness, and depending on your smog police, a good chunk of the exhaust and egr set up. I was able to get the running parts truck for $500, remove the parts I need, and then salvage it for just shy of $400. I've also added a new fuel pump, regulator, and TFI distributor, but that was more of a choice over really needing to as the donor truck parts all worked. The HEI distributor will NOT work with a factory EFI set up. Swapping over a factory system from another motor should be less expensive but take more of your time than buying an after market TBI setup like the Holley Pro-Jection.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
go look in the junkyard, Ive seen alot of ford passenger cars running tbi on v8, but keep in mind the wiring is the same for a speed denisity 351w setup that it is for a tbi setup, and the speed density is better

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
First, are you sure it's a Windsor? Unless it's been swapped the 81 351 should be a 351M. If it's an M then your fuel injection options are more limitied or at least not as easy as a 351W since Ford never produced an efi351M/400 engine. In any case since you want to keep the manifold on it the Holly Projection system, as already mentioned, is probably the easiest way to go.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you use a Ford fuel injection then dont you have to run all the sensors versus say holley or edelbrocks injection and run only a O2 sensor?

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
Crown Victorias were available in the mid-80's with a TBI 351w. Good luck finding one though, they are rare as hens teeth. Most of the TBI vic's were 302, and most of the 351 vic's were carbed.

·
not banned
5,970 Posts
First, are you sure it's a Windsor? Unless it's been swapped the 81 351 should be a 351M. If it's an M then your fuel injection options are more limitied or at least not as easy as a 351W since Ford never produced an efi351M/400 engine. In any case since you want to keep the manifold on it the Holly Projection system, as already mentioned, is probably the easiest way to go.
my 82 is 351W.
when did it change?

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
You could stick a chevy tbi setup from any mid 80s truck on it. Pretty sure summit sells a apadter plate to go from chevy tbi to a 4 barrel carb intake, or just make one. The chevy tbi is REALLY simple, and theres alot of support for it, even tuners for the ecms.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
my 82 is 351W.
when did it change?
It changed in 1982. Ford ditched the M-block and put in a wheezer with the worst carb ever devised....the variable venturi.:banghead

1 - 14 of 14 Posts