Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may sound strange, but I'm not sure what size gas tank I have in my '96 EB edition. The gas gauge of course doesn't work correctly thanks to the wonderful sending unit. I usually fill up around 350 miles or so, but I don't think I've ever put more than 28 gallons in the tank. I thought that there were two tanks offered, a 28 gallon and a 33 gallon? I would like to find out for sure what size I have without running out of gas on purpose. Any suggestions?

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Look at the back end of the bronco. If it hangs about 6-8" or so below the frame it is a 33 gal. tank. I maybe totally wrong here but if you drove 350 miles and only put in 28 gal and never ran it compltely dry then I believe you have a 33 gal tank and getting about 12-14 mpg. Someone has better info. I tried.

·
Super Moderator
5,223 Posts
There were two tanks available, a 25 gallon and a 33 gallon (32 in some years). If you were able to put 28 gallons into it, you definitely have a 32 gallon tank. Also, if I remember right, 25 gallon tanks were discontinued after like 1985 or something like that. I could be wrong there.
Also, another good bet is that if you have an armored skid plate over your tank, it's 33. If there's just straps, it's a 25.
Lastly, the best way to find out is get a gallon gas container, fill it up, and leave it in the back of your Bronco (with windows open of course), and drive until you're out of gas. Use the gallon of gas to get to a gas station and then fill it completely full. If you get 33 gallons in there, then you know for sure. :)
I had the same question with my tank for a long time because somehow I have a 33 gallon tank, but only a 25 gallon fuel sender, so my fuel guage only reads 25 gallons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks. I appreciate it. My gas gauge is either past full or an eighth of a tank or less. I put $75.00 in the tank yesterday, thankfully before the price went to 2.99 a gallon.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok. I thought I was crazy. I have the 33 gallon tank (skid plate, hangs down, etc). Even when the tank was on "E". I have never put more than about 27-28 gallons in it. Also, my guage doesn't go down when I turn the truck off - (it actually goes up a bit). I just did the sixlitre tuneup, put 25 gallons in (the guage said bone dry) and right now I am at 250 miles with a quarter tank left. Most annoying part of my bronco.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
1) Run the tank dry
2) Get towed to a gas station
3) Fill-er-up
4) Look at the gas pump
5) Take out a loan to pay for your fill up

HTH!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts