Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not want to put this here in the anything else section because search does not work here. If a mod or admin thinks of a better place for it feel free to move it.

I have two optima yellow tops that were deeply discharged that I had almost gave up on and thought there has to be a way to fix them. These batteries are around 8 years old and have sat for about a year or two in my shop. So I got on google and searched and found this video. After I watched it I tried it out and it worked so I thought I would share it with FSB. :thumbup

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
great tips

I have used another battery to trick the charger method for yrs on dead standard flooded batteries too
it works great

sometimes all that is needed is a load ,depending on a charger(most new ones are too sensitive for this to work though)and a light bulb will work most of the time
if battery is still in vehicle,turning on a dome light or maybe parking lights can sometimes trick an older style charger I have brought my motorcycle battery back from the dead with a trickle charger and a tail light bulb

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,513 Posts
That's the oldest trick in the book, but even some mechanics my age don't believe it. For standard lead/acid batts, there's about a 65-70% chance it'll work, and you're more likely to get it to work with a 2-5 amp charge rate, rather than a much higher rate. And on AGM batteries, a 1-2 amp constant charger run 1 hour on, 1/2 hour off, or a newer computer-controlled charger is absolutely required.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I thought it was a good idea and tried it one never took charge and on started to. After about a day and a half I put it on the charger and cranked it up and then it started smoking... So I guess Im buying new batteries :haha

·
Registered
95 Posts
holy duece, thanks for the tip man. i actually threw away 2 red tops because the store would not honor a warrenty from out of state. Good to know.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts