Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are companies out there that specialize in this. I was looking for a DIY. The hard drive didn't make any funny noisees like a usual crash. It seems liek it just isn't spinning up. There is power getting to the board so i know that isn't a prob. Windows & the bios jsut don't see it. So some repair tips/links would be nice as i would like to get back my 80Gbs of Software/music/videos

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
My hard drive just did the same thing, it was not spinning up. I took it to a PC shop and the guy said mine had a mechanical failure. The drive had to be replaced. Just because you did not hear any "funny" noise doesn't mean anything. It still may have crashed. I've heard the hard drive in the freezer thing, but never tried it before.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The freezer trick goes like this...when the drive is spinning it heats up causing the bearings and other motor parts to expand, thus the motor in effect seizes up...by cooling it you counteract that effect. It is only a temporary fix, however. If the drive is to the point that you have to resort to that trick, it is on its last leg. Save all the data you can to a CD or other storage media a.s.a.p.
85f150...if the little freezer trick doesn't work you can try tapping it relatively gently with a screwdriver...I have temporarily brought drives back to life with that trick. As far as extracting data off your drive if it is DOA...you are going to pay out the ass if you send it off, and I don't know of any do it yourself kits for data retrieveal.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
You can try to fix it, and some things might make it spin again, but it failed once, and it'll fail again - count on it.

If you can get it to spin, save whatever text, image, data files you can, and go looking for another. If it's under a warranty, maybe you can get a replacement drive.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
I have the exact same symptoms with a drive that holds all my pictures, music, videos, and movies from 2 years ago. I researched and found 800+ dollars is the cheapest for a company to retrieve the data.

Im sure the data is fine, but it just wont spin. I'll have to try the freezer trick.

·
That SmackMyB$tchUp Guy
1,011 Posts
If you do get it to spin back up...don't turn it off until you have all your data off.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea i used the freezer trick on a drive that was knockin before and got the data off. It is always the first thing i try. No warranty since it is a OEM drive and i don't know the OEM company. SO i will paly and see what i can do. Thanks guys

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after palytin with it i am asuming the motor for spinning the hard disk puked. I check the voltage going to it and it was only 9, tried giving it 12 to see if it would jumpstart it maybe but nuthin...Btw i had the cover off, it spun freely, so must not have beed a bad bearing just the motor puked.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
10,765 Posts
ESC said:
If you do get it to spin back up...don't turn it off until you have all your data off.
If you can get it to spin , and you can afford it get an external hard drive.I bought one for about $125.00 for a 120 gig .Anything worth saving is on both hard drives.Easy to use , easy to back up to.Wouldn't be without it anymore.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i am not a fan of externals since they cost more and take up more space. I have 10 5.25" interal bays with 3 being used, and 3 3.5" bays an donly one being used. So i have more room for more internal SATA drives. Might be time to run dual 250gb's in Raid for backup

BTW just to pimp my new case http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/2005/xaserCase/armor/va8000bws/va8000bws.htm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts