Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up fellow sloppy steering Ford owners......My 91 Bronco has had almost every part of the steering system changed out and my truck still steers horrible:banghead .

I've already changed out the steering gearbox once with a used unit, replaced every balljoint, tierod end and even when ahead and got the superlift superrunner steering system and added dual steering stablizers but nothing has helped at all. I've adjusted the gearbox hoping that would help out but nope Infact the guy that did the front end alignment last time said it might have been over tightened:doh0715: ....Dunno but it's been the same since I bought it over 2 years ago.

My question is....has anyone else out there just went ahead and bought a brand new gearbox and did it cure your sloppy steering? I really don't understand what else it could be??? There's not much left for me to change:cry

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
you used a used steering box? Why? that is it right there. I bought a new one for my old 89 when it took a dump. That fixed it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I will let you know about the steering box next weekend. Mine is sloppy too, ive done the same to my whole steering system, just like yours. I used a gear box out of a 86 ranger. It helped a little but still sloppy, now its leaking out the rear shaft. So im breaking down and getting one from checkers/schucks for 160 something. (www.partsamerica.com) the best prices in town! They have to honor the internet price. I would do it this weekend but I have some deep cuts on my hands from doing a break job that got out of control last weekend (pics to come on that one).
I am also going to replace the rag joint, people say that’s a real weak point in the steering, it goes out fast. Im hitting the junk yard looking for a universal joint type to mate up or weld up to the current steering. I don’t feel like spending the 200 something bucks for the knuckles from the online place. (forgot the name of it Jeff something).
If anyone has done this before, sound off. Need to know what kinda car/truck it came from.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I bought a new or rather rebuilt steering box for my Bronco about 1 and 1/2 years ago and it helped, but my truck still wanders a bit. I've welded the crossmember at the front and replace front end parts at the slightest sign of wear. I notice the tie rod ends have some obvious give to them, but they were like that when I installed them and my mechanic told me that is normal. I was just thinking last night while driving down a bumpy country road, if my front end ever goes or I come across a solid frond end, I will be doing a SAS. I like the ride of the TTB, but I am tired of the wandering issues.

·
Registered
604 Posts
waltman said:
I've welded the crossmember at the front
did you weld it because of rivets? I was told welding the cross memeber was a NO NO. but i may do it anyway since replaceing the main rivet with dual shocks means pulling coil spring brackets an stuff off to get to the little "window" in the frame.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ScorpionBoy said:
what is the condition of your radius arm bushings? mine were spent and steering improved when i replaced them.
After I took it up to have my front end aligned the first time, the guy doing the alignment took it for a test drive and came back shaking his head...He said everything was to spec but it still drove like crap. Told me to replace the radius arm bushings and bring it back....so I did. I can't say that it's any different than what it was prior to the new bushings.

EDIT My mistake,....not the radius arm bushing but the axle piviot bushings. My radius arm bushings are brand new practically,....I have hardly driven it since I put the lift and extend radius arms on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
mine did the same thing, replaced hole steering system, turns out my driverside frame rail was giving way do to a busted rivet. thus allowing the frame rail to bow out. seems the front driverside horn is real week when you add larger tires. SAS and hydro assist is in the near future.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A question here.....

Bronco's are essentially F-150's up front; correct?????

Is it the case that Bronco's wander more than the typical F-150????

I'm new to all this...so please forgive the ignorance....

I test drove my neighbor's '89 FSB the other day (in anticipation of buying it...)

You guessed it...it wanders very noticeably...I noticed it before we had gone one city block!

I assumed that it has worn fron-end parts.....and would be fixable...but now I'm not so sure.

Afterr all, his truck only has 75k easy miles (no off-road) so I wouldn't expect much front-end wear.

If I thought that I couldn't improve the wander issue...no way would I want to own one...

What's up????

Thanks for reading, Chuck

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
Mine used to have what is refered to as slot car steering. Prone to sudden swerves due to a groove or crack in the road. I had new ball joints and the camber adjusted and that solved the problem.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
SeaKaye12 said:
A question here.....

Bronco's are essentially F-150's up front; correct?????

Is it the case that Bronco's wander more than the typical F-150????

I'm new to all this...so please forgive the ignorance....

I test drove my neighbor's '89 FSB the other day (in anticipation of buying it...)

You guessed it...it wanders very noticeably...I noticed it before we had gone one city block!

I assumed that it has worn fron-end parts.....and would be fixable...but now I'm not so sure.

Afterr all, his truck only has 75k easy miles (no off-road) so I wouldn't expect much front-end wear.

If I thought that I couldn't improve the wander issue...no way would I want to own one...

What's up????

Thanks for reading, Chuck
Thats all bunk......I have had no issues like this with any of the three FSB's I have owned. Sure they will have front end issues after a period of time, but if you maintain it correctly the steering components will last a long time. You can also take out quite a bit of play in the steering wheel via the sector shaft adjustment screw. My current daily driver a 93 w/91K miles on it is tight as hell with no problems with it wondering or drifting around in the lane at any normal speed.....this is with minimal parts replaced and on OEM ball joints.
Yes you do need to keep a eye on the FSB's front end and maintain it.....I think they are more sensitive due to the ultra short wheelbase.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Welcome to th world of TTB. If you want your truck to drive nice and tight you have to replace everything at once and invest in very good radial tires. Once there, rotate them with every oil change.

Once the tire wears to 50% get new ones. After two sets get ready to through the parts again.

Oh and keeping the suspension stock and just upsizing tires will help alot.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Its a TTB thing, I dont understand. :popc1:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ditto on the TTB setup. it will always wonder more then a normal IRS. I have a low mile 93 1/2 ton van thats eaven worse then my Bronco.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
4Wheelin Rust bucket said:
did you weld it because of rivets? I was told welding the cross memeber was a NO NO. but i may do it anyway since replaceing the main rivet with dual shocks means pulling coil spring brackets an stuff off to get to the little "window" in the frame.
Yes, I welded the frame. I was going to remove the rivets initially, but there is no accessability. They do say not to weld the frame, but screw that. The frame is made from mild steel, nothing special. By the way, after I posted my last response, I went out and tightened the screw in my steering box about a quarter turn and it did help. But that doesn't change what I said about doing a swap some day.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
waltman said:
Yes, I welded the frame. I was going to remove the rivets initially, but there is no accessability. They do say not to weld the frame, but screw that. The frame is made from mild steel, nothing special. By the way, after I posted my last response, I went out and tightened the screw in my steering box about a quarter turn and it did help. But that doesn't change what I said about doing a swap some day.
I feel the same way about my 93. I plan on keeping this Bronco on the road for as long as I can, and I know one day I will be buying a new Borgson steering shaft (with serviceable u-joints w/Zerk fittings and no rag joint), a nice new/rebuilt steering gear box, and top it all off with a Saginaw, and new lines. As far as welding the frame....you got to do what you got to do, and if mine needs to be welded to beef it up a bit, then so be it!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Mine's loose too, but that's because the TREs on the SuperRunner steering are toast. How much did you pay for yours? I'm not sure to get the new TREs or replace the whole thing (whichever's cheaper).

·
Registered
11 Posts
s1120 said:
Ditto on the TTB setup. it will always wonder more then a normal IRS. I have a low mile 93 1/2 ton van thats eaven worse then my Bronco.

What does TTB and IRS stand for? (yes, I'm a newbie and I just brought my first bronco home last night and it's tight, but has play in the steering weel.)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Pauky said:
What does TTB and IRS stand for? (yes, I'm a newbie and I just brought my first bronco home last night and it's tight, but has play in the steering weel.)
You could easily look this stuff up, but...

TTB = Twin Torsion Beam
IFS = Independent Front Suspension

1 - 20 of 20 Posts