Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently gotten into the art of installing stuff to add power. I have a FIPKit, JET chip, dual exhaust, etc installed, but those are all more geared towards high end power. What is out there that provides more low end power (ie under 3000 RPMs)

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
:stupid

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,927 Posts
Yeah, gears would help...but you don't want to gear too low or you'll lose your highway speed and gas mileage. So do some reading.

There's nothing really "bolt on" to improve your low end torque. Somebody mentioned headers, that'll help your overall power some.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
loarmistead said:
I have recently gotten into the art of installing stuff to add power. I have a FIPKit, JET chip, dual exhaust, etc installed, but those are all more geared towards high end power. What is out there that provides more low end power (ie under 3000 RPMs)
IE: "Crane" cam and lifter set desighned for low end torque , ive done many ( cam and lifter sets ) and that will give you the quickest most noticable performance increase and they only require moderate mechanical ability and tools.

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
78CERBERUS said:
IE: "Crane" cam and lifter set desighned for low end torque , ive done many ( cam and lifter sets ) and that will give you the quickest most noticable performance increase and they only require moderate mechanical ability and tools.
I've got the tools, but mechanical ability is lacking. I am a quick learner and seem to have the talent to pick up on mechanical stuff pretty quick.... the only thing I have to do is research and do the work, and I can pick up on it fairly easily.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,927 Posts
Well, changing the cam and lifters requires removing the intake and the timing cover/water pump. So unless you have a book with the torque specs, or know how to replace the intake and water pump without getting a leak, you need to do a lot of reading or get someone with more experience to help you. Also, with installing a cam, you've got to know how to line it up so it's timed right.

Same goes with the gears. Need to know how to set them up so you don't screw them up.

So young padiwan, do lots and lots of reading. ;) And find a wrenchin' partner that's done it before.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
I heard a good coil like msd will help in towing power. That is if you still have the orginal one on there.. there is more things.

Search for timing bump thread and seafoam thread in tech write ups.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Heads, Cam,and headers $1,800 Stroker kit $1,500 Blower = $3,500

460?:popc1:

Next best inprovement headers and a cam.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
loarmistead said:
Have you done the aftermarket ignition tune up and timing bump ?

Costs about $140.00 from a mail order place. Sewiv did a stellar write up on it. Dirt cheap and helps mileage to boot.

Sixlitre

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,333 Posts
$800 for 100k mile 460 on ebay shipped.
$2000 complete rebuild
$600 incidentals (exhaust, sensors blah)

$3400 for big block power

how much for big block gas mileage??

·
Registered
57 Posts
BUSTER51 said:
A supercharger will give you the best boost in low end power .:thumbup
Roots type, or twin screw blower and you will never want for anything more.
Except perhaps a stronger tranny to take the 100+ extra footpounts of torque you will have, and the torque curve will be flatter than Kansas!! You could buy the cam, springs, ignition box, headers and nickol and dime yourself to the cost, but you be far happier with the blower. Also, cams affect vacuum, decrease MPG, idle quality and are intake/ compression reliant to make power, not too mention stronger valve springs that will add parasitic horsepower loss. This says nothing about the awesome whine of a blower under full boost at 4K RPM.

Blower will not decrease MPG, unless you get in the boost. If it has an internal bypass valve, takes nuthin to spin it on the freeway during cruise.

As always, make sure your engine can handle anything you add to it.

Lastly, a positive displacment blower effectively adds cubic inches. If you add a 112 CI blower to your 351, you will have an adjusted 463 CI engine that gets the around town fuel economy equal to or better than your 351 stock.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
BigBlue 94 said:
$800 for 100k mile 460 on ebay shipped.
$2000 complete rebuild
$600 incidentals (exhaust, sensors blah)

$3400 for big block power

how much for big block gas mileage??
BOO, way to rain on my parade!

Wait till I regear and do the Sixlitre timing bump/ignition upgrade. Right now I get 8mpg.

·
Registered
57 Posts
kf4amu said:
BOO, way to rain on my parade!

Wait till I regear and do the Sixlitre timing bump/ignition upgrade. Right now I get 8mpg.
8MPG :box0715: On the bright side, you have something in common with a Ferrari 460!! :histerica

1 - 20 of 22 Posts