Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just recently cut my exhaust pipe right after the second cat on my '96 and put a glasspack on it. Although it sounded great to me before adding the muffler, now its just a BIT too quiet. I'd like to gut my second cat. Some things I'd like to know are first off, HOW to gut your cat, and how can I plug that sensor that is coming off of it. Can that sensor return false readings? How much louder would it be with one working cat, and one hollowed out cat?

Thanks.

·
a renegade of funk
3,241 Posts
on a obd2 car you 02 sensors will be looking to see if the cats are working. and if they are not working your 02 will tell you.
it may be quite for a bit untill that asspack breaks in.

if you want loud do it right

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
My advice won't help you out on the electronics or anything like that, i'm just going to give you a financial tip. If people come on here and say go ahead and gut it, DON'T. cut it off, replace it with a piece of straight pipe, and scrap the cat. it's an easy $40 or 50.

Justin

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
on a obd2 car you 02 sensors will be looking to see if the cats are working. and if they are not working your 02 will tell you.
it may be quite for a bit untill that asspack breaks in.

if you want loud do it right
How do you figure? The O2 sensor is before the cat.

I would not remove or gut a cat unless it was a problem. In your case you want it louder, even though a glass pack is not what I would consider a muffler. If you want it louder, just remove the stupid glas pack and replace it with a pipe.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the sound of glasspacks. And I ran it with just a straight pipe after both cats and did not like the sound. I just want it a little louder with the glasspack. I Don't want to remove the cat entirely because the diameter of the pipe before it is larger than the diameter of my glasspack I have and I dont want to buy another one. Right now its bolted on right after the second cat and its just not loud enough. Also, how long does it take to break a glasspack in?

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
How do you figure? The O2 sensor is before the cat.
On an OBDII system, there's 2 HEGOs before the cats, and one AFTER the cats.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
:stupid

Gutting cats is stupid, because they're worth so much money... Sell it at a scrap yard... get more then half the cost of a new high-flow one... install said high flow one and be nice to the environment.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
They are easy to gut out. Just remove the cat and use a suitable toolto knock the shit out. A tire iron works good, or a big prybar, or a piece of solid steel bar, whatever is long, skinny, and hard enoufgh to break the stuff out.
I'd just cut it out and put a piece of pipe in place of the cat. No reason to gut it out when its easier to just weld in straight pipe

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
right and it being a 96 he will have an 02 after that cat to monitor the effectiveness of those cats if im not mistaken
On an OBDII system, there's 2 HEGOs before the cats, and one AFTER the cats.
Oh, my bad. I've worked on newer vehicles and only noticed one O2 sensor. But then again, I was been doing other things and wasn't looking for it.
:stupid

Gutting cats is stupid, because they're worth so much money... Sell it at a scrap yard... get more then half the cost of a new high-flow one... install said high flow one and be nice to the environment.
What makes them so expensive?

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
cats are full of precious metals.

these guys are right, obd2 wants to get readings after the cats and i bet it will throw a mil and possibly not work correctly. hi flow cat is prolly what you want for performance. for sound, cough up some dough and get a good muffler or pack. if you do cut off the cats and weld in pipe, it would be best to keep them for when they start testing and inspection in your area. it is just a matter of time before it is mandated.

·
Registered
712 Posts
IMHO emission testing on pre-'90 is just stupid, chances are the engine's are pretty warn out by now, and it ain't like tis gonna cut down pollution by urging folks to buy new cars & trucks - hell, if they could afford it they'd have done it by now anyways, no need for spending tons of state dollars just to have the emissions police make some extra under-the-table income.

That said, if your cats are working fine just leave them be, if you want your truck louder just put it back to how it was before you start messing with the glasspacks, you said in your first post you liked it then. Alternatively just take the cat off and use a straight pipe instead of it, with a step-down adapter for the glasspack if needed, hollow cats are much louder than intact cats, so it really ain't worthy destroying a good cat for just sound. Also if you gut the cat depending on O2 sensor locations you may need one of these CEL eliminator kits that plug in the O2 harness to fool the computer the cats are present, and working well, and those ain't for free either, so either way you'll have to spend some more on the problem, may as well do it right.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
i am also looking to cut my cats off, but i have a 92 so i don't think that i have any sensors on them, i want just straight pipe going to my flowmaster, i dont know if that would cause and backpressure issues or wat but would it hurt anything if i cut my cats off?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
i am also looking to cut my cats off, but i have a 92 so i don't think that i have any sensors on them, i want just straight pipe going to my flowmaster, i dont know if that would cause and backpressure issues or wat but would it hurt anything if i cut my cats off?
I never had a problem with mine.
Not tro sound like a hypocrit, but I hollowed out my cat. I didn't do it to be vain or to make my truck louder. I actually hate that it's louder.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
actually its platinum. Where have you been?
You can get $80-120 for both of of our stock cats at the scrap yard.
I know the older ones had platinum pellets in them that absorbed the bad gases or something like that. But when I broke apart the guts of mine, it just looked like clay. I know it is not clay, but it was very light for it's mass and unless I'm mistaken, platinum is heavy like gold.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
I know the older ones had platinum pellets in them that absorbed the bad gases or something like that. But when I broke apart the guts of mine, it just looked like clay. I know it is not clay, but it was very light for it's mass and unless I'm mistaken, platinum is heavy like gold.
When mine spilled it's guts all over my garage floor, it looked like honeycombed crunchie bar to me.

Now it looks hollow:toothless

Sixlitre

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
When mine spilled it's guts all over my garage floor, it looked like honeycombed crunchie bar to me.

Now it looks hollow:toothless

Sixlitre
Yup, that is exactly what mine looked like and like I said it was very light

1 - 20 of 22 Posts