Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
U jelly of my
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont believe a write up has ever been done on this (atleast i havent found any) if their is, I'm still a noob:rofl:

Anyways, Today I installed my new alpine 9886 headunit, here's the steps i took...

*All thumbnails are clickable, click them!*

First off, you will need the radio removal tools, which look lilke this

Next, say goodbye to your old POS "radio"

Take the radio removal tools out of the bag, and slide them into the holes in the radio until you hear a click.

Now while pushing the two tools outwards (away from each other) pull out towards you. pushing the left tool left and the right tool right disengages the lock that holds the radio in place. It SHOULD slide right out.

But, if your truck is anything like mine, and refuses to surrender any of its parts or comply in any way, you might have to attack this radio from all sides.

I had to flip my glovebox down, and remove my A/C controls (you shouldnt have to do this but i was really pissed off at this point and just went crazy disassembling my dash)

I pulled on the din removal tools while pushing the back of the radio outwards with my hand, eventually with alot of cursing and fighting, the radio slipped out :toothless

Reason it was stuck? the radio had felt on the top and bottom, that got caught on the dash and started to wedge the radio in, and it wouldn't fit out the hole.

Next order of business, the rear support, which for me was a C band, a plastic piece that slides on the top rail to hold the radio, and a clip that goes to said plastic piece.

Simple assembly. C clamp - clip and plastic piece inside said clip. Fit the rear support onto the top rail and slide it to the back of the dash like so

Next up, the easy and not fun part... Wiring!:tinfoil
This is straight forward, just match up the colors and either tape them or if your really a pro, solder them together.

Once your all wired up, turn the truck on and make sure everything works. you dont want to fit it in the dash and realize oh crap i messed something up!

Lastly, tuck the wires up and to the left (going thru the glove box helps so you can pull the radio in from the back to) and slide that SOB into place!

Once again, check to make sure everything works!

Hell yeah it works :rockon

Oh, and if any point in this instillation you spark a wire and pop a fuse, check IIRC fuse 1 in the power dist box under the hood, its a 20A fuse closest to the fender, that will most likely be your problem. your manual will tell you which one is for audio if is not the second one up from the bottom left side

My speakers sound way better now, but i think the new found bass is blowing em apart, next upgrade will be speakers!

·
U jelly of my
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Its an Alpine right? I have one now that has been going bad for a while. Its time for a new radio and speakers for me to.
Yes its an alpine 9886, crutchfield is selling em 80 bucks off with free install kit and removal tools...

I have a 9856 in my car and i love it, besides not being able to see the screen in the sun... But the 9886 has an awesome screen

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
I just did my stereo last week. Should've done a write-up.. I did door speakers, 2 6x9's in boxes, all wiring, splicing and head unit.

·
U jelly of my
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I was looking at that same model on e-bay for around 120-150
the 9886?

as long as its legit, go for it! I love it so far, really improves the sound quaility over the stock POS :thumbup

·
U jelly of my
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just did my stereo last week. Should've done a write-up.. I did door speakers, 2 6x9's in boxes, all wiring, splicing and head unit.
fo sho, i figured i'd do a write up since nobody else did lol

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
fo sho, i figured i'd do a write up since nobody else did lol
yeah used a older head unit.. and even the slightest bump skips it. Gonna have to get a more expensive one with newer anti skipping tech and such.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,791 Posts
Yeah its a good looking radio, I'm just not sure on what I want. The one I have now has a short in the face and after I turn it up past 13 The sound only comes through the subs.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,957 Posts
Ive heard of people using coat hangers to remove the stock head unit. had you tried that first before getting the removal tool from crutchfield?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,957 Posts
sweet i really need to get a new head unit. so tired of the radio

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
whatever you do don't hack the wiring. get an adapter. heck even walmart has em. do it right. I used crimp on bullet connectors. I have gone thru three head units since I got my bronco ~ 13 years ago. the first two were Sonys (upgraded from a cassette to cd) and the wiring was as simple as plugin the new one in. the harness was the same between Sonys. then i upgraded to a pioneer which played mp3's. all I had to do was put new bullet ends on the pioneer harness and switch em out one at a time for the matching wire on the adapter harness. took like 5 minutes.

·
U jelly of my
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11070026

by far the best stereo i have ever owned goin on 2 years i use 2 gig sd cards with music loaded to the teeth even have a few jump drives that have music on them keep them in my ash tray. and it never ever skips cause i dont use cds.

and i use the USB port to charge my BlackBerry Curve
that looks like such an alpine knockoff :rofl: but as long as it lasts its a good price

Ive heard of people using coat hangers to remove the stock head unit. had you tried that first before getting the removal tool from crutchfield?
yes you can use coat hangers, but crutchfield included the removal tools. coat hangers arent perfect but they will work if you dont have any removal tools... the tools arent that expensive though and you can get them at any place that has audio stuff

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
Yep Wally world and every parts store I've been in sells the stereo removal tools for just a couple of bucks.

Then get an adapter for the new stereo's wiring and when you are installing speakers, crutchfield and places like best buy sell adapters for the speakers so you don't have to cut off the original harness plug.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.