Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
BurnedB's competition.
2,039 Posts
Well how much do you know about wiring? Are we going to have to explain it like you're 5 years old?

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
can anyone give me directions on how to install fog lights on a 1986 ford f150? i have the wires run to the fuse box. but after that im totally lost:doh0715:
Bolt'em on, run wires, adjust lights for driving. Drive

Well how much do you know about wiring? Are we going to have to explain it like you're 5 years old?
:stupid

Not that hard, but can be intimidating for the electricically challenged. :thumbup

KC

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no they didnt come with anything because they are just some cheep ass ones. and the most wireing i have down was cutting the wire to my cig. lighter and spliceing it with my hot wire on my c.b.:chili: i have never had to do any wireing/learned how. i have the wires run to the fuse box

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,020 Posts
no they didnt come with anything because they are just some cheep ass ones. and the most wireing i have down was cutting the wire to my cig. lighter and spliceing it with my hot wire on my c.b.:chili: i have never had to do any wireing/learned how. i have the wires run to the fuse box

You need, at the very least, a positive coming from the fuse box, to a switch, and then from the switch to the lights, and then return the lights to a ground, preferably close to the battery.
The problem with this is that ALL the current the lights are drawing passes through your switch, which is not ideal because if you short anything, youll still have +12v at the switch waiting to cause you all sorts of problems inside the dash, or shock you when you touch the switch.

The right way, would be to wire in a relay, so that the relay carries all the power, and the switch will only have a very small amount going to it.

Also, you should connect the lights in parallel, not series. If you dont know the difference in series versus parallel, then you might want to find somebody to help you wire them. Im not trying to be mean, but wiring them wrong can cause major electrical problems in your vehicle.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Where are you located. If you are near me I would have no issue showing you how to do it. others can walk you through something simple like that with no issues.

Just keep in mind, learning now will allow you to do it later. I never even took toof a hub prior to joining FSB, and now I am attempting a SAS. You learn by doing....

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Ive always just run one red (+) wire to lights mounted on a steel push bar.
The push bar is the ground and the (-) lead from the light can run right to the bolt
that mounts the light to the push bar. Why run a separate gnd wire if the entire frame
and anything mounted to it thats conductive is the gnd.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Also, you should connect the lights in parallel, not series. If you dont know the difference in series versus parallel, then you might want to find somebody to help you wire them. Im not trying to be mean, but wiring them wrong can cause major electrical problems in your vehicle.
They would be pretty dim in series.. not to mention when 1 blows, they both go out :doh0715:

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Well there you have it. You can even get fancy shmancy with an indicator...

Really need two fuses in + though?

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
Well there you have it. You can even get fancy shmancy with an indicator...

Really need two fuses in + though?
where do you see a second fuse?

It's always a good idea to fuse anything off your battery. Hooking to the fuse panel isn't fusing the circuit, he's robbing the +/- 1.5 or so volts to turn the relay on, it's not fused.

You can save yourself some cashola and just buy a switch that lights up when it's on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts