Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a nice set of boston acoustics in my truck today, and since their is no write up on how to do this, I figured I'd make one for the site that has saved my ass a few times already ;)

*All pictures are clickable thumbnails, click for a fullsize photo!!!*

To start this install, get out your phillips head and unscrew the screw holding the window switches in place

Next, theirs 3 screws on the back holding the window switches to the plate... Unscrew these 3 screws, and for the drivers side, unplug the power window control plug

Next its time to unscrew the panel itself. Start with the one you can only see with the door open, its closest to the mirror...

Next we have 5 screws on the bottom of the door

One-Two

Three

Four

And Five

With these removed, its time to pry (yes pry, you'll have fun on this step) the door panels off... They are held on by plastic push in rivets that I absolutely hate... If you have a panel removal tool, then use it, if not, get a putty knife or a strong kitchen knife... I used a sterling silver knife and it still bent alittle bit, these suckers are tough! Do not use a flat head screwdriver, you will really F up your door panels... If you dont care about your door panels, then by all means stick a big flatheaded screwdriver in there and pry, but it will warp the plastic up....

Once you have the panel far enough out that you can stick your fingers in, put your fingers in the area of where the stud is and pull out HARD. If you think you broke something, then congrats the door panel is almost off... If you did actually break something, then its not my fault and your out one door panel :rofl:

Once you have all of the push in rivets out (I believe their is 4 to 6, probably 4) hit the lock button and lift the door panel up and off, keeping an eye on the door handle... You may have to open the door handle and work the panel off... Once the panel is off, take the bulb out of the courtesy light housings (if equipped) with a simple twist and it comes out....

This is what you will see (excuse the stink bug, i found 7 dead ones in my drivers door panel, and a LIVE one in my passengers door panel :uhoh3 )

Now for the easiest 100% plug and play install, I suggest getting these adapters from crutchfield so you can just plug into the stock speaker harness...

My new speaker waiting to go in... You will notice its 3 mounting holes, so I had to drill new holes and use self tapping screws on both doors and they mounted perfect

All done (Its not crooked, its just the angle of the picture and door throwing that off)

Now to put the panel back on, first put the door handle back through the panel, then put the lock/unlock thinger (you know, the doodad, that thingamajig that goes up/down when you unlock or lock :toothless ) in the hole on the door panel, then push the door panel down and line up the rivets... Its easier to line the outside of the panel up first ( the part on the outer part of the door) and push those rivets in, then the inner part will fall right into place... After that just reinstall all the screws and enjoy your new speakers :rockon

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Note that this is for '92-'96 models with power door locks/windows. Other years and options will vary. For instance my '93 with manual windows' panels are lots different to remove.

Also if you jack up the plastic push-in rivet thingies you can get replacements in almost any auto parts store in the help section.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Note that this is for '92-'96 models with power door locks/windows. Other years and options will vary. For instance my '93 with manual windows' panels are lots different to remove.

Also if you jack up the plastic push-in rivet thingies you can get replacements in almost any auto parts store in the help section.

Yes the manual crank windows you have to use a torx bit to remove the window crank handle

·
Registered
199 Posts
What size speakers are those in the front, also what size are the rear?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Looks simple, I need to do this. Can you remove the wire speaker grilles from the door panel when you take it off? I need to paint my front and rear ones.... Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts