Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 79 bronco with dana 60 frt and back, 460 eng 4sp. and 6 in lift. 38 in bfg mud tires, the drive train is all one ton stuff except the cardon joint,I keep breaking the rear joint. does any know of a bigger one/ more heavy duty or is any one not running the cardon joint with 6 inch of lift.
thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
79's had 1330 series u-joints although stronger than 1310's that were in the 1978's they do not carry the angle that the 1310's did. your going to have to step up to a high angle 1350 driveline so you do not have any more issues. a standard 1350 driveline will not give enough angle @ the tcase.

·
Registered
208 Posts
How about keeping your foot out of the Carburetor. :histerica

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
harrison i hard to tell your 21 year old to do that, but i did let him sit on the highway for two hours while i finished my beer.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
A 460 cui, 6" lift and big ass tires don't help but at the least if you're not already doing so, use "non-greasable u-joints" which are stronger because they don't have journal holes for grease which weaken it and see that helps otherwise you got to step up the driveline as suggested.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
correct as in what? it has a 6 in lift all spring from jbg, with the wedges installed couldn't tell you the angle don't have any thing the measure it with. for right now had the cardon joint replace, the driveline shop is going to make a new driveline with 1350's andsaid i might want to install some ladders bars. the spring that are installed are really flexable. gets alot of axle wrap.

·
Registered
208 Posts
harrison i hard to tell your 21 year old to do that, but i did let him sit on the highway for two hours while i finished my beer.
Hey I was 21 once myself, and yea I understand at that age we didn't thank about the consequences. He probably won’t learn till he goes through a few more U-joints. Good for you finishing your beer first, it is all about priorities.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
take some pictures from the side to show the pinion angles.

If they do not make that 1350 Cv a high angle it will probably blow out the u-joints as well due to not having enough angle built in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts