Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

What should i do with my frame

• Powdercoat Ford blue or black

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Magnet paints

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Krylon black

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • rhino line/line X(if the price is right)

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time no see huh?Well its time to put in work and need to know what I should do with my frame.I can either powdercoat it for around 250-300 bux(Ford blue or black),use magnetpaints(go to magnetpaints.com for more info) or krylon the frame black..Im lookin for durability and cost.

·
USAF Veteran
2,975 Posts
i would vote por 15, but that's not an option

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
powder coat :shrug ... damn, you must be a rick boy now

out of those I say POR15 as it is a rust taht is tough as hell ... BRUSH it on .. when I did mine, I spreayed it .. big mistake .. brushing it is much more liberal ... check out my superford link and look at the beginning

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
I was gonna say POR15 also. I have a couple of small cans to try it out, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies....Seems as if everyone is going with por15.....As for the powdercoat,since i have the frame all bare,i minds well and do it right and call it done....250 isnt too bad is it?I want something where i dont have to worry about it fading or chipping and can wash off mud fairly easily.....We'll see in the next couple of weeks which one i can afford.

Also what color?ford blue or KISS(Keep it simple stupid) black

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Black is my choice. You could paint suspension parts blue if you wanted some color. That's what I plan to do when I strip this thing down.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jerry 1 a b said:
Black is my choice. You could paint suspension parts blue if you wanted some color. That's what I plan to do when I strip this thing down.
Well my plan was to paint the axles,suspension parts and the whole 9 yards of the undercarriage black....

Also i just got to thinking that if i do powdercoat it, that is 200 bux that can be going to something else such as my 460 swap,or something else.If i go with krylon it should cost no more than 50bux to paint my whole undercarriage and frame.If i do powdercoat,i have to buy some paint and then paint the axles etc.Someone please help me out as im the most undecisive person when it comes to my truck.....

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
powder coat isn't tough .. POR15 is

it is the frame of the vehicle

what more do you need to know

is thing thing gonna be pansied out and towed to shows without ever getting any street time?

:shrug

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damager said:
powder coat isn't tough .. POR15 is

it is the frame of the vehicle

what more do you need to know

is thing thing gonna be pansied out and towed to shows without ever getting any street time?

:shrug

Hehehe well just because i have a big lift doesnt mean im not gonna get down and dirty....Ill stick with mud and only mud...I didnt olive drab my truck with a spray can,put on a custom snorkel and have dave build me a custom bumper to trailer my baby.Whenever I have the chance,ill be at the local mud pits throwing up some mud rooster tails with bigblock power...If i wanted to have a show truck and be pansied out,i wouldve bought a chevy:beer

Anyone have pictures of por15 after a couple of mud outtings or any off road abuse?Thanks In Advance

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well after reading the information on por 15 it says that it fades when exposed to the sun(uv rays)...I think im leaning towards magnet paints.Also why/how is powdercoat not tough?

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
the frame won't be subjected to the direct uv they are speaking of

if it's a worry, Krylon over it :shrug .. done deal and you will probably NEVER have to think about the frame again

powdercoat will be pricy and more likely to chips than a job done with a product designed to resist it

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damager said:
the frame won't be subjected to the direct uv they are speaking of

if it's a worry, Krylon over it :shrug .. done deal and you will probably NEVER have to think about the frame again

powdercoat will be pricy and more likely to chips than a job done with a product designed to resist it
good point :thumbup ..

·
Registered
589 Posts
i really dont know a dang thing about any of it, but Damager did win Full Size of the Month for September so he must know what hes doin right?!?!?!? At leats thats the story im stickin with.... i really have nothing important to say here or worth while so ill be on my way now... thanks for letting me ramble.:thumbup

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Miketnf150 said:
One thing to think about if you Powder coat it is, if you have to do some welding to the frame it's just about impossible because the powder coating goes into the pores of the metal and it's very hard to get the medal clean for welding. Just my .02
Another good point :thumbup :thumbup ...I decided to go with magnet paints because its 30 bux cheaper than por15 and i can weld things to the frame if i needed it.Thanks for all the good points.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
My frame wasnt rusty, and hardly had any grease or build up on it...

Just take a few cans of rustoleum industrial flat black primer, and apply it liberally...Much cheaper, and the money you save can be used on the heavy duty paint for parts like axles and tie-rods and stuff that will see more use and or abuse.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lord Drilim said:
My frame wasnt rusty, and hardly had any grease or build up on it...

Just take a few cans of rustoleum industrial flat black primer, and apply it liberally...Much cheaper, and the money you save can be used on the heavy duty paint for parts like axles and tie-rods and stuff that will see more use and or abuse.
well por15 costs 99 bux a gallon and magnetpaints cost 67 a gallon.So i can probably use the whole gallon on the frame and axles,atleast thats the plan.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts