Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching for this, however i'm not exactly sure what keywords i should use in the search. So, can you please point me in the right direction or give me some advice on how to build-up or customize my dash panel. The reason i'm asking is because i recently installed a MPGuino in one of my panels--and now i'm wanting to "beautify" it. Right where the "4X4" and "Low Range" buttons are on my dash/bezel i did a little cutting with a dremel to make a hole for the MPGuino LCD unit. I have it mounted where i want it to go, however the cuts are a little jagged and the LCD extends a little past where the rectangular recessed area is. If no-one knows what i'm talking about--i'll take some pictures when i get back to my bronco. However, i'd really like to start researching and planning now on how i want the end-result to look. I'm sure there's some kind of "putty" or some kind of filler that I would use to fill-in holes on this kind of plastic, but i'm not sure what it would be called. Any ideas? I'll make up a little sketch of what i'm talking about, since i don't have any pics. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here is an image of what the hell i'm talking about.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'd say go to a JY and find a piece in good shape and use you first one as a lesson and cut it better the second time.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
know anyone who works in a custom stereo shop they could help you out with this. you could get some fiber glass and do it yourself if have the time. this would be a day long project.

·
Super Moderator
26,992 Posts
yo,

ABS Plastic Forming tips for podstweeters, switches, etc. (some pics are gone)
Source: by roddoors.com via web.archive.org @ http://web.archive.org/web/20050307101034/http://www.roddoors.com/rodderspage.html

SLOW to LOAD bec. I retrieved the dead URL via the archives. So here it is"

ABS Plastic Forming tips for tweeters, switches, etc. (some pics are gone);
"...Creating a form in ABS Plastic; Building a rod frequently is about solving problems. Installing a door panel with some power window converters can be one such problem because the regulator can become an obstacle. In some cases, the panel needs to be built up around inch to clear the regulator. What works best is to form a cavity in the panel. Here’s how to do it. Cut a mandrel out a piece of plywood the height needed and the diameter required. Cut another piece of plywood 1-1/2” larger than the mandrel. Place the mandrel under the panel where the regulator resides. Heat the panel with the propane torch until the panel becomes soft and pliable. Press the plywood ring piece down tight to your work table. When the plastic cools it will retain the formed shape. Mark Yearwood sent the following message to the RodDoors e-Group. Just a note...Always spray your glue, either with a gun or if using the can, only use the 3M 8090 super adhesive. NEVER use 77.. it won't last in the heat of autos. Spray 3-4 light coats different directions on both pieces, waiting a few minutes between. Let it tack good, almost feels dry. Make sure to get it in all the grooves and such. I used the Super 8090 to cover the whole inside of my '86 chevy pickup in tweed. Door panels with rodfoam designs, headliner and trim, dash and console. It has been six months with temps from 10 degrees to 110 with no problems. Stuck the carpet and pad down with it too. I buy it by the case from a supplier.
Mark

Trimming
We’ve seen people use skill saws, saber saws, hand saws, and die grinders on our plastic panels. But, nothing works better than a simple, sharp utility knife. Chalk out a line, score with your utility knife and snap like wallboard to break. All the plastic parts that we sell will sand like wood, drill like wood, and break like tile. So trimming out a panel is a snap. The biggest fear that most people have is that they’ll make a mistake. Not a big deal. If you trim a panel too small you can always glue it back together with ABS pipe cement. Add a backer plate from scrap so the joint is not just a butt joint. Once the repair has dried you can sand it smooth, retrim and the fabric will cover over the repaired seam..."

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts