Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

How to reach fuel line connections

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Bg921 
#1 ·
Silly question, but how can I reach the fuel line connections on the engine side for a '91?

I'm blowing out the fuel lines, so I already did from the filter out to the tank end, and now I wanted to do from the engine end out to the filter.
  • first off, is that the right way about it/the right spot to blow from?
  • if so, I think I see the connections - basically center and toward the back, and downward a bit.
From below I couldn't really get a good feel, and from above I couldn't get a good reach without like laying prone across the top of the engine bay.

Just didn't want to break anything doing that...or is that actually how it's done?

#2 ·
hey @Bg921 and welcome to the group.
i've always just laid down on the motor (yes it hurts and my kids think it looks hilarious) to get to the fuel line connections at the ends of the fuel rails.

i've never read about ot tried ot blow out fuel lines but it sounds like you're going about it the correct way - specifically away from the injectors.

when you worked from the filter towards the tank, were the lines at the tank disconnected? my concern is that if the lines were connected to the tank we might jam up the innards of the fuel pump

Reactions: Bg921
#3 ·
hey @Bg921 and welcome to the group.
i've always just laid down on the motor (yes it hurts and my kids think it looks hilarious) to get to the fuel line connections at the ends of the fuel rails.

i've never read about ot tried ot blow out fuel lines but it sounds like you're going about it the correct way - specifically away from the injectors.

when you worked from the filter towards the tank, were the lines at the tank disconnected? my concern is that if the lines were connected to the tank we might jam up the innards of the fuel pump
Thank you very much -- for the welcome and the info!
I felt that blowing away from the engine made some sense at least, didn't wanna risk blowing something into it...
And yep I actually have the tank dropped and pump disconnected, basically just put the ends of the lines in a bucket to catch whatever came out.

I'll give it a try laying on top of everything then! Hopefully the connectors pop off somewhat easily too, filter wasn't too bad but the tank ones put up a fight

#4 ·
Custom make a board they sits on top of the fender lip (where the bolts are) and spans the engine bay, I did when we were pulling the 460 out of my 86 F350 way easier then trying to lay on the engine, a lot less painful as well.

#5 · (Edited)
I'll probably try that first, have some scrap laying around so might be able to rig something up. If not, then I'll take the pain I guess!

Another question for anyone, not sure if I should make a separate post:

The end of a fuel line at the tank broke (well I broke it)...it's the 3/8 line, specifically the plastic bail/cage part. The thing the hairpin retainer goes into
This little guy:

Hose is a little kinked right before it too.

There's a few threads on here with similar issues, but I was a little confused.
Is this what I should be doing?:
Fuel Nylon line connector replacement
Or do I need just a new fitting, like a Dorman 3/8 quick connect replacement I see all over the web?
I found hairpin connectors, but not the same looking bail replacements, but maybe they just don't make em like that anymore
Edit: Broken Fuel line
Nevermind, this looks like what I gotta do

#6 ·
Update: wound up using the rear bumper of another suv to stand on, gave just the right reach and angle while laying on the engine. Definitely looked weird, as @92broncoboy said, but hey - it worked!
On another note, I really really love spring lock connectors, especially those that haven't been disconnected in years. They just pop right on and off, nice and easy like butter. No, no sarcasm 🙃

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.