Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to remove my driver's side hub to replace the inner seal. I've got the automatic hubs with 3 bolt caps ('96 EB). I've got the exact pair of pliers are below (courtesy of Trucky18's site), but I simply canNOT get this snap ring out as is shown below!

I can't get behind it to pull it out. When it appears I'm making progress, the ring rotates. And I simply can't get two tools in there to 1) pry it out and 2) prevent it from rotating within the hub.

What am I doing wrong?? :banghead

Thanks,
Tommy

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've never removed auto hubs, but my manual ones require a special deep socket made specifically for hubs. Otherwise, it's a pain to get them off.

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, but that's not the problem. I'm just trying to remove the c-clip which needs to come out prior to using the special hub removing socket (which I have, but haven't gotten to the point of being able to use yet).

Tommy

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
i just swapped my stock hubs fir a set of gold hubs. a dentail pick or small screwdriver. i used the screw driver at tthe parts yard and did the job in half of the time with a dentail pick.........mike

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve83 said:
Click my signature & look in the Brakes & Hubs album. Yes, you can get 2 tools in there if you use the right kind: dental-style picks, available from Wal-Mart or any parts store.
Thanks, Steve. I hadn't seen your three-screw hub pics before.

Looking at this pic....

I've tried a similar method, but the ring keeps rotating in it's groove. I'm going to pick up some "picks" tomorrow and give it another go. The bad thing is I don't have replacement manual hubs to install while I'm doing this so I'll have to do it all again soon. :duh

Tommy

·
Registered
12 Posts
i did mine a while back...converted from auto to manual when my pass side auto took a shat on me while driving on the street in 2wd..it just went and locked up..made a hard banging souind too lol..but all it fixed..i used a small flat head screw driver to pop the one side out then hed it with another and pried the other end out then it all came out. the hub itself however didnt come out so easy. i had to put the bolts back in and use a slide hammer to free it up. PITA but its all good now.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Tommy: I just pulled my auto's out last night to do the brakes and bearings. Mine are 3-bolt as well. You need to use two picks for this job. One to hold the ring from rotating (like a staking tool almost) and the other to pry it out of the groove and make a circular motion to get the rest of it. Make sure you're using small diameter tools; it's easiest if you cross them so they look like a pair of scissors. You might find it helpful to have another person help you, standing by with a small flat-blade screwdriver.

Personally, I went down to Sears and picked up a Craftsman set of picks. That way when I break one, they're covered. :toothless

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I "picked" up some picks this afternoon on my way back from Waco. Fortunately the truck made it okay! ;) I'll tear into it and let y'all know how it goes. Thanks for the suggestions!

Tommy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tommy R said:
I "picked" up some picks this afternoon on my way back from Waco. Fortunately the truck made it okay! ;) I'll tear into it and let y'all know how it goes. Thanks for the suggestions!

Tommy
Hey Tommy, Daniel here.... I agree with the posts above, picks are the way to go. That's how I get mine out.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
mine was too tight to fit pliers, just changed my 96 from auto to manual last week and i agree with everyone pick work best, I used a straight pick to hold one end and a curved pick to "pick" the other side out. since you have a 96 like me just make sure you have both sockets you need to remove the old spindle nut and install the new one most of the write up i read were for other years and you just needed the socket with 4 teeth and 2 1/2" for both. I picked up the 2 1/2" at autozone for about $20 and the 4 tooth socket for about $13.

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
drinkbrew said:
since you have a 96 like me just make sure you have both sockets you need to remove the old spindle nut and install the new one most of the write up i read were for other years and you just needed the socket with 4 teeth and 2 1/2" for both. I picked up the 2 1/2" at autozone for about $20 and the 4 tooth socket for about $13.
You lost me there. Both sockets? I've got the 4WD 4 tooth "castle" socket. What's this 2-1/2" socket?

Tommy

·
Registered
54 Posts
All I needed was the spanner (castle) socket to get the hubs off.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The auto hubs need a different socket to remove the retaining nut than the manual hubs. It is a 2-1/2 inch rounded corner hex about 3-1/2 inches deep. The manual hubs and the auto to manual conversion nuts use the round socket with 4 protrusions like a spanner wrench. Oh yea, I agree with the use of picks on the removal of the ring. They were the only thing thin enough to fit in that space.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Tommy R said:
You lost me there. Both sockets? I've got the 4WD 4 tooth "castle" socket. What's this 2-1/2" socket?

Tommy
you will need the "castle" socket to put in the new spindle nut when you convert to manuals. the 95 and 96 an the only models from what i have seen that require a special 2 1/2" socket to take off the stock spindle nut, once you have it off you will use you "castle" socket to install the spindle nut for the manuals.

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting. Is that an auto parts store part or a dealer item? I've never seen a socket like that before...

BTW, I'm not converting to manuals just yet. I will, but just not right now.

Thanks,
Tommy

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is ridiculous. I've got the right tools now. I still can't get that $#^%*ing snap ring out. I honestly don't see how it's even possible..... I'm a pretty smart guy who knows his way around a garage, but this seems impossible. I'm >this< close to giving up and taking it somewhere to get fixed. And I never do that.

Even the damn picks I bought just barely squeeze in there. They start bending before the ring even considers budging. The rings have shown absolutely no signs of popping out of the groove no matter what I try. I can't believe how in all the write-ups I've seen for this procedure how this "simple little task" is just glossed over as if it's no big deal. It's f'n killing me! :banghead :banghead :banghead

Tommy

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Went out there and gave it the ol' college try and it popped out of the ring and I was able to very easily walk it out. I'm still unsure how I did it! Anyway, on to the next step!

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys, thanks to everyone for helping me with this. I managed to get the hub assy. off and was able to inspect for a very odd squealing my truck had in the left front.

For details on the problem I was trying to fix and what I discovered, just click right here.

Now to put everything back together and hope for the best!

Tommy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts