Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Runnin you over
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Im about to dig in to my 95 yet again... Ive searched but gotten no results that help. Im going to replace the leaf spring bushings and shackle bushings. I dont want to have to remove everything underneath, so what Im asking is how to get them out easily.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
if you dont hav a torch, i didnt for the LONGEST time:banghead.... Drive yourself down to a Home Depot, and get the propane torch..... Its like $20 or so... And just sit with it on the bushings... Do the outside, then a bit inside and so on.... Then take your BFH and beat it out.... You can litterally just burn the whole thing out.....

Correction, its only $13

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...d=10053&productId=100092307&categoryID=501201

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yeah a torch works well for the bushings just be careful not to burn yourself on the rubber that shoots all over when the things are burning.

For the sleeves I have always just cut a slit in the sleeve with a sawzall on oppositie sides and then used a chisel and hammer to knock them out.

I have done 4 pairs of springs this way and it works everytime.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Yup I'm actually just about to go do the same thing. Sucks cause one shackle hanger was bolted on and everything came off esy. Of course the other side is riveted and the bolt is stuck in the bushing. Out comes the torch...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Its all really dependent on the condition of the bushings. If they are dry and hard, it will be hard to remove becuase they will probably be 'envrionmentally welded' to the spring wrap. If they are soft, still the same weld, but they are easier to handle.

I would drill several holes with a large drill bit. Get as close as you can to the spring wrap. Do note, the bit may catch and walk on you so watch your wrist. Once you get the bulk of it out, use the plumber's torch to heat and melt the balance residue. Get a throw-away screwdriver (flat) and start to scrape. Once you get most of that out, take gasoline and wipe the residue that is left. Cleaner is also good.

When you put in the new bushings, make sure you add quite a bit of the lube they provide.

If you want to press them out, you'll need a good size press as the bushing will act as a bushing and deflect. If you go that route, I would look as cutting the bushing from the spring wrap rather than pressing it out as a whole. There is a lot of spring wrap surface to adhear to. Cutting the bushing from it could be easier.

If you still run a TTB, might as well get new bushings in those mounts also. That would keep the front axle tight and minimize some of the 'wondering' it does with road.

·
Runnin you over
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info guys! i think im gonna heat up the bushings and use a screw driver to pry them out cuz it looks like you cant press them out cuz they wont go in they just come out right? i think there is a lip on the inside that keep the 2 half from touching huh?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts