Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Ah....I just did this. :D There should have been a nut on the longer side of the screw. If there still is one there, take it off and thread it on the other side..all the way on. Soon enough it should break the grip the shifter has. When it does that, tap in the longer side of the screw, then pull off the shifter.

Wait a minute.....that's a 4 spd, isn't it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Project Lazarus said:
Ah....I just did this. :D There should have been a nut on the longer side of the screw. If there still is one there, take it off and thread it on the other side..all the way on. Soon enough it should break the grip the shifter has. When it does that, tap in the longer side of the screw, then pull off the shifter.

Wait a minute.....that's a 4 spd, isn't it?

Actually it is a 5spd. There was a nut on it but I removed it. I will try what you are suggesting. I am trying to remove the shifter to tap in 2 pins that hopefully will help with the really loose shifting.
As far as the "allen screws" I tried all of the allen wrenches I had and none of them fit. It seems that the indention doesn't have anything for them to grip on.Almost like a rivet. The shifter is really bugging me so I am trying to figgure this out. Asfar as cleaning it off I plan on it tomorrow. Gotta take her to the car wash and blast it a couple times then use simple green.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6552
this was my origional thread and I am just trying to figgure out how to do what Slim suggested in that thread.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
They're Torx head on mine. Spray it down with some brake cleaner. Put the nut back on, too. You have to remove those three screws before you get to the locating pins.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I took off the shifter pushed the pins all the way back in and now it is super hard to get into 3rd and 4th and 5th. Did I screw up? Lemme know if you all have any ideas thanks.

Also the pins keep sliding back out how do you get them to stay in? Thanks.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Actually....yeah, you screwed it up.
lol

Not what you want to hear, I know. My buddy's truck that we had a problem similar to this, we had to put it in 2nd, take it back out, and the shifter will actually 'click' back into place. It will take a LOT of fiddlin' and so on...but we got it done.

I hope this helps, and just a note, his truck was a '93, but I don't think the 5spds changed, did they??

Wish I could help more!

:beer
Bill

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha I figgured as much the first couple times we tried the pins kept popping out and it would turn all the way around. How do you keep the pins in place?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I pulled it and tried replacing it in every gear. Only problem is I can use 1st-5th but reverse isn't working. I can put the shifter back in in reverse but if I take it out it won't go back into reverse.

So I am trying to figgure out if it is the clutch, syncros, or I can't seem to get it back in correctly.

·
Registered
548 Posts
My pins just snaped into place with mine. I also couldnt get reverse for awhile. There is a thing in there on the left that is spring loaded. That has to be pushed foward before putting the shifter back in. I think it is what keeps you from going from 5th to reverse while going down the road.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
If I remember correctly, we were told that it had to be installed in 2nd gear...

I may be wrong, but give that a shot. :shrug

:beer
Bill

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
slim said:
My pins just snaped into place with mine. I also couldnt get reverse for awhile. There is a thing in there on the left that is spring loaded. That has to be pushed foward before putting the shifter back in. I think it is what keeps you from going from 5th to reverse while going down the road.
I couldn't see the spring loaded thing and am frankly bumfuzzled. I have tried multiple things and spent around 4 or 5 hours messing with it. Sunday I thought I had it worked perfectly for about 20 minutes then gradually got worse. The pins keep slipping out and just don't seem right. I think I am gonna have to park her till I can get some cash and bring her in to the shop. What really pisses me off is that while it was kinda a pain to drive before I never once had a problem getting it into any gear except once in a great while reverse and now I have problems with 3 45 and sometimes r.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts