Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 1993 Bronco, and for the past month you would have to pull the drivers side handle real hard to open the door. I duno if its because it needs oil or because its freezing here but I just broke it off by pulling too hard.

I dont know what to unscrew on the door. I bought a 6 dollar handle from autozone. I have the picture of my door posted below, if someone can point me in the right direction as far as how to get this handle on please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Where did it break off? Do you have a pic of the handle?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,761 Posts
search for the screws around the perimeter of the panel and the none on th armrest (in the little recess). take those out. there are clips on the back side of the panel so it will still be a little stuck. lift it up vertically. the handle is held on by only one small bolt. 5/16 i believe.

·
Premium Member
9,986 Posts
My 86 has a screw at the end of the handle IIRC maybe 3/8 which goes into the door handle mechanisim and it has a little notch to position it in place inside the door panel, you'll need to pull off the panel for repair, push comes to shove study the other handle.

I think you can get cheap replacements at any "Help" section in any auto parts chain, otherwise it's the Ford " $tealer$hip". lol lol

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
As a heads up the "Help" section chrome handles only last about 6 months before they break as well. I don't know how long the plastic ones will last, but i gave up and just started buying used chrome ones out of the junkyard.

Justin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See, I only see 2 screws, and I tried pulling the bottom out a bit where it looks like clips, but I think I have to take off the window handle as well but I cant figure out if I am supposed to pop that out or what?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,761 Posts
oh yes. the window handle is a 2 piece thing. take a small screw driver and pop the large round end up. there should be a screw in there holding it in

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Just take a long-handled phillips head screwdriver and stick it in there and unscrew it. No need to take the panel off. At least that's how my '80 works. Yours doesn't look too different.

·
Registered
28 Posts
....While in there, lube the shit out of everything.
Yes, I purged all the ancient grease by flooding both of mine with WD40 first. Every moving point of the latch mech, cable, handle. Then after the WD40 evaped lubed everything. They work great and smooth as silk now.

The cable may be starting to fray pythonfart. That would have made it get progressively harder to pull the interior handle. A junkyard original part is probably better than anything the discount part stores have.

Good Luck

·
Registered
562 Posts
After you take the cover off of the window crank, there is a T15 Torx screw that needs to come off.

Then carefully pry along the bottom of the panel with a "panel removal tool" (it's Y shaped and you slide it up under the panel) then pop the push pins.

There is a 10 mm bolt that holds the handle on to the mechanism. I am pretty sure that you can't reach it without taking the panel off, but I may be wrong.

I've been collecting spares from the junkyard too, but I prefer the black plastic ones. You shouldn't have to pull on it too hard. Maybe you just need to grease the cable and latch mechanism with some white lithium grease while you have the panel off.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Pull the door panel. No worries there, right?

Then all you do is take out the bolt holding on the handle and replace.

While in there, lube the shit out of everything.
Yup. Pretty simple job.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Not the best pic in the world, but should serve for the idea.

Oddly enough, Autozone sucks, but thier mini repair manuals on thier site are good for stuff like this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts