Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked this question in another thread and for some reason, nobody wants to answer this. So I decided to start this thread in hopes of getting the answers I'm looking for or at least get pointed in the right direction. I have stock steel rims on my truck, at least I think they are. They could be aluminum but not sure. Anyway the point is that I've been trying to figure out a way to restore them on a budget (since I'm limited on funds) to their original luster since they look kinda splotchy in spots. I'll be posting pictures tomorrow when the weather is somewhat better since today It's kinda shitty out right now. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in Advance....

D2k10!

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
most of the crown vic guys just hit their steel rims up with some black paint... Could do the same to yours with grey paint

·
Registered
380 Posts
post pics if you can. I've painted my steel and aluminum rims with out a problem. Sand them down, use primer, paint, and in my case I used high temp. clear for the final touch. Here are some pics and all of these where with spray cans.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If it's the clear that's coming off and causing the "splotchy" look you can remove the remainder of it with paint stripper, most PBE stores carry it. Then you can polish the bare metal back to a shine.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I meant to post pictures up yesterday but the weather was shitty and I really didn't want to take them in the rain. Here's what just one of the rims look like:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I Like the look of these rims but I want them to be a uniform and clean shine in each wheel.

Skaterbro, after the paint stripper and I polish them, what clear coat would you recommend I use to seal it all up?

D2k10!

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
oh you have alcoas, ok....

Dont bother with reclear coating it, just throw some wheel sealant on... I want to strip mine down to the aluminum and re polish them... mine are like bubbling :(

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
Mine looked like yours. Stripped them with some organic paint stripper, sanded with 600 grit to get rid of some of the corrosion and a little time with Mothers and they look like this. This is the only pic I have right now

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I did some reaserch on fixing the finish on my aftermarket rims. I had 2 main options, have them done by a pro for about $50 per rim or do it myself with sandpaper, a powerball, lots of polish, some clear coat and a rediculous amount of elbow grease. For some stock 10 hole rims you might be better off finding someone near you selling some in better condition for cheap. I tried to sell mine for $100 and couldn't find someone to by them, so there might be someone in your area that will sell you their old stock rims for cheap.

If you were local you could pick mine up

·
Registered
336 Posts
Skaterbro, after the paint stripper and I polish them, what clear coat would you recommend I use to seal it all up?

Automotive clear, also at any PBE spot. But are you set up to shoot paint?

You can leave them bare but it will take a little more maintenance to keep them looking their best. But a little metal polish on some sort of drill attachment can make easy work of it.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
At the body shop I was stuck polishing up an old set of Jag wheels. Use Aircraft Paint Stripper I think from Kleen Strip. Once you get all the old clear off clean them with some soapy water. After that wet sand with 800 and then with 1200. Then I hand polished them with aluminum polish. They turned out beautiful, and look much nicer than chrome. Once they are cleaned and polished as long as you keep up with them by wiping them down you wont have to use nearly as much elbow grease as the initial polishing to keep them looking good.

Also, warning, I highly suggest dismounting the tire before using the stripper, wouldn't want your rubber getting damaged :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will eventually get a lift that will require new wheels and a larger tire but that's down the road a bit. I decided to get my stock wheels powder coated and put new BFG's on them.

It cost about $65 per wheel, the guy sand blasted them, powder coated them with aluminum color then put 2 coats of clear on them. I think they turned out really nice.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i sandblasted and powdercoated mine but of course i do my own powdercoating.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
I stripped mine down as everyone else mentioned. In a few spots the clear had chipped off and a couple wheels had some curb rash. I hit them with a scotchbrite roloc pad and then wet-sanded with 800 and 1000 and then used a 3m aluminum polish. A little bit of time, but they look 100% better than they ever did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts