Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just got an awsome deal on a warn m15000. Only problem is its a 24 volt winch off a diesel f-250/24 volt system, I have a gas f-150 / 12 volt system. How can I run the winch on my truck??? Or should I call warn and see if the winch can be converted to 12 volts. Iv looked at some threads on runnin 2 batteries but that dosnt sound like it will help me, or will it?????

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
I would call Warn. You'll need the 12v motor, but you may be able to re-wire the solenoid pack and use it. I "think" the 24V winches use 12v solenoids and the coils are wired in series because two are always used for either direction. Warn's tech guys are pretty helpful.
I wouldn't run 2 batteries in series. It's a charging nightmare and too many things can go wrong.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I wouldn't run two batteries in series either. Unless, you like the smell of burnt electronics. I'm almost 100% sure that there was never a 24 volt F-250. There are many diesels with two batteries wired in parallel, but not series. To run that winch you would either need to: A) convert the whole truck to a 24v system, which would not be easy or cheap, or let you retain just about anything electronic that you currently have, including the ECM. or B) figure out how to convert the winch to 12v.

If your feeling frisky and are handy with electronics you could probably create a stand alone 24v system just to power the winch, but that would involve at least two extra batteries and another alternator. Not really practical I would think.

A quick glance at the parts breakdown for that winch indicates that the only difference between the 12v model and the 24v model is the motor and the solenoid pack. Ask Warn if you could rewire it, but I think it'd just be easier to buy a new motor and solenoid pack and call it good.

·
Man of endless projects
9,235 Posts
if it were me (which i wish it was cause i want a winch), id wire it in a way that uses your regualr battery with an added small 12 battery (something for a lawn mower or something) with the small battery only adding its power to the winch instead of the whole truck. it would be hard for me to explain and i probably could make a quick diagram if i wasnt leaving for work in abit. im great at wiring stuff to work. only problems are that the small battery would drain faster and it would probably have to be charged with a charger instead of the alternator

EDIT: wheres a simple pic i made

edit again: i jsut realized i have no idea how many amps winchs draw cause i never had one. you probably need the secondary battery to be full size

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
So it was off of a military truck? If not, I do not think it was a 24v winch. Can not say for sure, but do some checking on that and go from there. I have a diesel, and it has two batteries. It is still a 12v system. It was out of an 86 so anything after that I am pretty sure was 12v.

SWS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, this is throwing me for a loop tooo. Its supposedly off of a non-military F-250. Ill havta get back up with the guy to get year and motor to help. I agree with you all, two batteries, but not 24 volts. I'm going to contact warn and see what they have to say. This is getting to be a major head ache! But that's why its all fun!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Maybe there's a part number or something on the motor or solenoid pack? If you look up the winch on the Warn site it's got a parts diagram with part numbers. That should be able to tell you fairly quickly if the winch is indeed 24v.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts