Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 325 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thought I would throw up some pics and process notes on how to Sea Foam your engine through the injection. I have also included other directions for the oil crankcase. There is a long post located at https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20974&page=5&highlight=Sea+Foam but all the pictures are scattered through 5 pages of posting. This product can be used for tuning-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines (Autos, Trucks, and Tractors). It can be used in the following:
1) FUEL TANK
2) CARBURETOR or INJECTION systems
3) OIL CRANKCASE

[/IMG]
Cost of one can is about $5-$6.

When Used Thru Injection or Carburetor
* Cleans carbon build up
* Cleans intake valves and pistons
* Gives smoother idle
* Cleans catalytic converter odors
* Cures hesitations and pings
* Restores power and pickup
* With warm engine running, SLOWLY POUR 1/2 pint through carburator, throttle body or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed ALL CYLINDERS. Possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. Be sure exhaust is well ventilated. Fumes will be extreme for a short period of time.
* For use in injector cleaning machines, use 50% SEA FOAM and 50% fuel.
* Fill diesel filters with SEA FOAM to clean injectors fast.

Brake Booster Line:

Booster line into Upper Intake:

Using a pliers, slide the three prong clamp up th hose and remove the plastic nozel:
[/IMG]

Do NOT PLACE THE HOSE INTO THE CAN OF SEA FOAM!!! (edit 8/14/2006) Many people including myself the first time performed this according to my picture. Instead get a funnel and POUR it into the funnel while the truck is running. This will eliminate the chance of HYDROLOCKING. I REPEAT POUR into a funnel! :

[/IMG]

let the vacuum pull all of the sea foam into the intake and shut engine off. Let stand for 15-20 minutes...Some poeple have let their trucks sit overnight and have had good results..

Restart your engine...should look something like this:
[/IMG]

In order to not rouse local authorities, I did this at 5:30 in the morning and took it for a 15 minute drive. Many have said that they've done this only to have neighbors, police or the fire department show up at their door. Your bronco will some like uncle Milton on poker night! Anyway, I figured that morning I must have killed 1-billion bugs and irritated 3 joggers. Got to tell you though the bronco is running slick with better acceleration. I will be checking my MPG in the next couple weeks. Hope this helps! Here are the other details from Sea Foams website @ https://seafoamsales.com/

How Many Mechanics Use SEA FOAM
In Tune-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines
Autos, Trucks, and Tractors
1. With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.
2. Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.
3. Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.
4. Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area.

FUEL TANK, CARBURETOR, INJECTION and OIL CRANKCASE.
For Peak Performance, Use SEA FOAM Every 2,000 to 5,000 Miles

* A 100% pure petroleum product for use in all gasoline and diesel type engines, both 2 and 4 cycle. OXYGEN SENSOR SAFE.
* Cleans dirty engine parts internally by removing harmful gums, varnish and carbon. WORKS AND PERFORMS INSTANTLY.
* Removes moisture from oil crankcases and fuel tanks.
* Stabilizes and conditions fuels. Use for engine storage.
* Cure hesitations, stalls, pings and rough idle due to carbon buildup.
* Helps pass emissions test. EPA Registered.

When Added to Crankcase (Oil)
1. Frees sticky lifters and rings
2. Increases R.P.M.'s vacuum and compression
3. Cleans dirty parts
4. Removes moisture
5. Cleans PCV valve systems

One pint treats 10 quarts of oil (avg. 1 1/2 ounce per quart).

When Added to Fuel Tank
* Cleans fuel injectors and carburetor jets
* Cleans carbon as you drive
* Lubricates upper cylinders
* De-ices and removes moisture
* Diesel full conditioner and anti gel
* Stabilizes fuel

One pint treats 8-25 gallons of fuel (average 1 ounce per gallon).

In Injector Cleaning Machines
Add a 50/50 blend of fuel and SEA FOAM into injector cleaning machine. Run directly through the fuel rails to clean injectors fast. Add SEA FOAM to your fuel tank to clean injectors as you drive.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
I have also read that when you are done and have driven the vehicle through its current fuel tank, that you should change the oil, and spark plugs. I dunno if that is needed but that is what a lot of people are saying

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
beerman...your statement is contradictory

if its going through the fuel tank..i dont see how you'd need to change anything, other than a fuel filter incase it was clogging from all the debris? You wouldnt need to change the spark plugs if you ran it through the fuel?

Sparkplugs:i've heard it can foul your plugs, but havent seen it?

Change oil:you should throw it in your crankcase for like 50 miles or whatever, then empty it to get all the crap you just stirred up, out.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Has anyone ever had any problems after running this stuff? I am just curious cause my truck has 185000 miles on it, and it is just my luck that this will screw it up somehow. Well any opinions from people who have run it in high mileage vehicles would be appreciated. Thanks

Ken

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
I have used it religously. Like Xris mentioned, be ready for alot of smoke out the tailpipe. :toothless :shocked

I had people coming over from all over the 'hood, Asking "Can we help you turn the fire out?" :toothless :histerica :histerica :histerica

I used it on the upper intake and found great results, however, I have used it in the gas tank and have not noticed anything. In another post, I wrote how my truck is running Lean. I thought it could be dirty injectors, so I poured that in, also, a fuel injector cleaner from JB, Lucas, and finally octane 104. It still runs Lean.

The tech at summit racing mentioned and recomended I get an adjustable Fuel pressure regulator and raise the pressure by a couple pounds.... :shrug

Sorry for hijacking you thread, Xris :brownbag

Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
CAn this stuff cause hydro lock or anything like that?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imlikeojnow said:
CAn this stuff cause hydro lock or anything like that?
After all the researching and listending to others testamonies, I have never heard any mention of hydro locking.

By the way... my next objective is to clean out the throttle body with this stuff (toothbrush and some sea foam) as well as the TPS. There is another post on here (again...many pages long) somewhere on how to do that. I can most certainly do the write up (with pics) on it if anyone desires it.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
That procedure is when the professional mechanic will want to de-carbonize the combustion chamber as part of a tune-up or drivability diaongnastic procedure. You have to be very careful doing this to avoid hydro-locking the motor and causing any damage.
This is the reply I got back from the company about Seafoam, and that is why i asked about it.

ken

Reactions: bsd4083

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Now when I do this stuff i just let the engin suck in about half a can, then turn the car off let sit for an hour then start and wait till it stops sm,oking?

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
Now when I do this stuff i just let the engin suck in about half a can, then turn the car off let sit for an hour then start and wait till it stops sm,oking?
did you read the first post in this thread? :shrug

suck it in..kill it when it's almost dry of the can..let it set as long as possible, be it an hour, overnight, etc. Then, start er up, and take her for a drive, getting on it a little bit to get the seafoam out of the system.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
The can says, in bold, 50% into the intake and 50% in the gas. I will get a picture of the can if anyone wants to dispute this.

And can we please hold off on the name calling. This is a nice tech article, lets leave it that way. Thank you.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Marauder said:
The can says, in bold, 50% into the intake and 50% in the gas. I will get a picture of the can if anyone wants to dispute this.

And can we please hold off on the name calling. This is a nice tech article, lets leave it that way. Thank you.
well mine says it requires 1oz of Seafoam per gallon of fuel, you have a 32gal tank, i have a 32gal tank, we need 32oz, which is 2 cans of seafoam to be to "spec."

I dont see where it says "50/50"?

Thanks Captain Maurmodder :goodfinge

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Actually I take that back. It is 50/50 for "Injector cleaning machines" but it does say 1/3 of a pint into the brake booster or other form of intake that will reach all cylinders. The can is 1 pint therefore, yes use 1/3 of the can into the brake booster line.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Marauder said:
Actually I take that back. It is 50/50 for "Injector cleaning machines" but it does say 1/3 of a pint into the brake booster or other form of intake that will reach all cylinders. The can is 1 pint therefore, yes use 1/3 of the can into the brake booster line.
Yet, most use most of a can, and kill the engine or stall it out with alot of the can still in the engine, to maxamise results, i think it's a liability issue, like with something hydrolocking their engine...they'd rather stay on the safe side, i hardly notice any difference when it's less than 1/2 a can, because you have less in the cylinders to be working, less ran through it, etc. I'd rather put more through the intake, and then put the "right" amount in the gas tank, if you want to maximise effects. I've never heard of anyone having results with the gastank use, but i'm sure it'd be alot harder to notice since it wont affect throttle response most likely, although a before/after inspection of your injectors could demonstrate the effeciency.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
With all this smoke generated I don't want to do it with any Chevy boys around, gettin' the impression I'm an oil burnin' beater (like a 305 or something).

With all this carbon and crap geeting loosened up, I can see the cat getting clogged solid. Nobody seems worried about that ?

Does advance or Napa in upstate New York sell Seafoam ? I've gotta cross the border soon, so I'm thinkin' maybe I nab some while I'm down there. Imagine dropping some into the intake just before re-entering the country at the customs check point ! :histerica

Guess they'd let me laugh it out in a holding cell.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
darb said:
Do NOT take it for a drive. Depending on your engine this could cause all sorts of problems for you and others on the road. You could quite easily be putting other people in danger if you do. When I did mine the first time, I put out such a fog that when the breeze shifted and it blew over the cab I could not see anything. Imagine what could happen with a few cars at a stop light, or in a low speed area. Let it sit in the driveway while it runs for a while to see how it's gonna smoke first.

brad
That's why I did mine at 5:30 am when no one is around. Did not want to smoke screen anyone.

Also, for those of you arguing about the 1/2 ca, 1/3 of a can 50/50 stuff. When you are doing it alone it is awful difficult to measure how much is being sucked down while also trying to kill the engine at the same time. Of all the posts I have read....most if not ALL have sucked down the whole entire can. I am just saying that is what I did also and my engine is running tip top! No need to get agressive on the subject. Do what you feel is right...follow the directions to the "T" if you want. As I was a first timer at this it sucked the whole can through before I realized it.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Xris said:
Brad...arent the two statements above contradictory? No agression intended, just want to know what would be the best to clean the intake when it comes time? Thanks man!
I was referring to spraying into the intake to clean out carbon buildup that will be burned off in the combustion chambers. Seafoam will do that pretty well.

You were talking about pulling it apart and cleaaning them with a brush. I don't know that I would want to use seafoam for that. Judging by what it does just sitting on rusty bolts it would most likely work pretty well, but it would be very messy. Seafoam has the consistency/textur of a penetrating oil. It probably wouldn't hurt anything (I'd check on the IAC before using it there), but it'll leave it very oily, and the BG stuff is designed specifically for what you're doing.

brad

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
snafu said:
Yeah, what he said ????

We use to pour tranny fluid in the carb to clean it out. That was YEARS ago. More of an amusement though. :brownbag
Years ago I watched a garage mechanic pour a quart of motor oil into the gas tank of my Dad's 440 NewYorker. We just bought it used off a 90 year old man and it was fairly carboned up.

He said it would clean things out and after a fairly smoky tankful it did run better. AFter that it ran better of regular, where as it would only run on premium before.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
51 Posts
Finally tried it!

I just had to give this stuff a try since everyone has been talking about it! I went to Checker auto and got 3 cans ($4.50 a can) and put half of one in the crankcase and the other half in the gas tank. I put half of a can in my two other cars crankcases, and then fed the last can through the bronco's booster line. I was only able to wait about 30 min. because I was too anxious to see the smoke show. It seems to have worked great and I can't wait to see how it helps with performance. I will be changing the oil in a few days after driving it around to see what that stuff loosened up in there. That was a great write-up Xris, and thanks to everyone for their info throughout this thread. I love this forum.

That was a cool smoke show!

1 - 20 of 325 Posts