Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any suggestions on How to separate the Spindle from the Steering Knuckle on a 85 Bronco without destroying the Spindle??

I am convinced the Needle Bearings are Shot, because there is to much play in the Axles. Also, finding Grit/Metal in the grease that is inside the spindle.

I removed the Hub and Rotor and then removed the nuts holding the Spindles, but they will not budge with Prybar and Hammer. The Spindles are in good shape, so I do not want to damage them. The Chiltons manual does not mention any special tools required to remove them. Help Please!:banghead

Thanks
Forrest

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
for normal ones i just hit small chicsels in aorund th eoutside diameter bewteen the spindle and knuckle mating surface.

you can also hit it with a long punch from the backside through the knuckle.

if there stubburn i will if need be(not to good for the parts, but it works)
i will thread bot hspindle nuts on almost all the way. then lock them toghther, then put a 3 arm puller, center it on the axle shaft's cone inwards on the very tip. i will put all 3 jaws on the spindle nuts and then tighten it up some. i will then wack th espots mention up above with the chisel, and punch, and if need be wack the end of the gear puller and continuilly tighten the pulled up to drraw it off.
do this at your own will incase parts want to break or such, but i have never hurt anything doing it.

they do sell a special spinle adpater to use on a slide hammer that i have heard works good, but i have never sen the need to use it. i manage to get all my rusty 25 year old junk apart just fine without it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BB....I was afraid of that lol....Do not want to purchase a slidehammer. I guess, I will have to tough it out with the punches and chisels. It looks like that it seats in the steering knuckle There is about a 3/8ths ring that mates inside of the knuckle. It is probably seized/rusted up there enough to make it real hard to get off.

Forrest

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard they rented tools....Haleleuah! That is the way to go!
While I am there I can get the Needle Bearings and and Backside Seal.

Thank you!
Forrest:thumbup

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Block of wood on the spindle non-bearing surface (between inner and outer bearing races) and beat on it with a sledge. Work your way around the spindle not concentrating on one area.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
I usually screw the lock nuts on to the spindle and his them with a hammer., once it's loose I work it off by hand. Did 2 last night in about 10 mins. this way.

·
Registered
489 Posts
piece of aluminum pipe (sch 40 or 80) sized to the spindle tap it on all the way, used large sledge and hit the pipe as far out as possible working aroud the pipe (up, down, left, right) the aluminum will be chew but won't damage the spindle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
pb

it is the best Magnetic penitrent (sp) made in the world if you don't have get it . It can save lives (mentally) good luck oh ya just beat on it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey folks,

Thanks for all the suggestions!! PB Blaster with the slide hammer got it off in about 30 minutes total both sides. The bearings were in pretty bad shape very little grease and lots of grit.

That PB Blaster is some BadA$$ stuff. Sprayed it on about an Hour before I started and Man it did the job. I had used liquid wrench the day before with a 3 lb maw for about 4 hours on just one side and did not even losen it up.

Thanks again! Now its time to go SUrf Fishing!!!!!

Hooks up,
Forrest :beer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts