Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this tonight and was wondering if this is the proper way to shift gears on my 78 NP 435 non-synchro? I guess I was shifting wrong all this time.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
732 Posts
Your np435 is synchronized. Well, granny low and reverse don’t have synchros. But that article applies to stuff like old ton and a half dump trucks

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,426 Posts
Your np435 is synchronized. Well, granny low and reverse don’t have synchros. But that article applies to stuff like old ton and a half dump trucks
What he said.

When I shift into 1st or reverse, or I should say before I shift into first or reverse, I'll actually pop into one of the other gears first while holding the clutch in the whole time and then make my shift into the non-synchro'd gear, because when I do that the synchro stops the gears from spinning. A lot of times when I'm driving and I roll to a complete stop and then try to shift into 1st it'll grind trying to mesh the gears, but if I give a quick throw of the shifter into 2nd then into 1st it never grinds. That's been my experience anyway. Same for reverse, it doesn't like it when I make a quick stop moving forward and then try to put it straight into reverse though reverse doesn't complain as much as 1st does.

I could just be full of crap on all of this though. :dunno

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I've only had a couple of 78-79's with the 4spd and a couple of 67-68 small block bowties and a 71 442 w/455-4spd. They were all easy to shift and with the trucks all having granny first you never shifted down beyond 2nd and usually it was 3rd. The real trick is in the woods or on crappy roads keeping the hubs locked in and moving from 2wd to 4wd while on the move without grinding the tcase to dusts. It's just a feel that seems ridiculously easy when you get used to your truck.
Swamp

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,426 Posts
Yeah I rarely if ever use 1st on road, but if I ever do for whatever reason I usually forget it's not syncho'd.

·
Registered
2-78 bronco,s-I is a ranger xlt and one is a custom-It has original 4 speed and I put a 390 in it
41 Posts
It also applys to the older pick-up too

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,548 Posts
Bit late to the party, but whatever...

Rev matching is easier on the machine when downshifting, even in a synchro trans. My zf6 will shift up or down without the clutch, as will many others, just by rev matching. Nascar uses a clutch to go from a start, but then they never touch it again until stopping and starting again.

I never double clutch even coming out of granny low in my np435.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Almost no point going to first or reverse unless you are stopped anyway, with the ratios being as crazy as they are.

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,221 Posts
1st and reverse will grind for me even at a standstill, so I just go to second to get it to sync up then can drop into either without grinding. 1st is almost never used in mine so I only ever really deal with an unsynced reverse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts