Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1982 ford bronco that I plan to use for off road use only----not going to put tags on it. It runs pretty good, but it has an idle that is a little rough. I am considering stripping off all the emission stuff-----but am not quite sure whether that is worthwhile or not. I would appreciate some opinions as well as directions on this project.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
It's not even worth it. It's not robbing you of any horsepower, might as well just leave it on and let it do it's thing until it becomes a problem.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Before emissions, what made old ways for old days power was Compression, cam and carbs. Exhaust too.

The emissions gear didn't make the engine gutless. Gutlessness is in the very DNA of a post - 72 car. Modern fuel is made for modern no compression engines.

You want old fashioned horsepower and clean emissions?

Propane is 105 octane. CNG is 135 octane. Both burn 99% pure.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
ummmmmmmmm..... okay?

But there's no point in propane or CNG in an engine that doesn't take advantage of it with high compression... You'll lose horsepower by putting LPG or CNG on a low compression engine.

·
Registered
337 Posts
ok so back to the question...heres the deal... like said, it doesnt use up any power....that you will notice. But if you start running into bad idle etc from vacuum leaks, you can pull the smog pump and lines etc and run vacuum lines only to the things you want/ need to keep. usually they include:

power brakes
spark advance
the canister that pulls fumes from your fuel tank (carb can)
PCV

... It takes some time but look at and figure out your vacuum line diagram. I have a pic of what i did on my supermotors page ... Right Here but all years are somewhat different, depending on the options... search FSB there are (used to be) good posts on what all the abbreviations meant and what people kept and got rid of.

I noticed a huge difference in mine as alot of my lines were cracked and leaking and i could't get my engine to idle.... now it works great. Even improved MPG

Anyways ... again,though i do have slightly more room to access stuff wthout all those lines, it takes some understanding and I would only do it if you run into vacuum problems.

search note. vacuum is often mispelled here (vaccum) try spelling it differently on here while searching

·
Registered
777 Posts
My experience is with an 82 351 Windsor. 82 was a transition year for engines. early year had 351M and late had 351W. 1980's found Ford using a frankensteins monster of an engine control system called EEC3. It's been tough for me to find any information on this system, so I've had to strip it and revert back to previous Duraspark 2 ignition and build my own fuel injection system. While building an injection system isn't for everyone, it worked for me. We need to know more information about the truck. Engine and transmission, what carb and all that.

BTW I do have a 2bbl holley 2300 carb sitting on the shelf. ran pretty good when I pulled it. PM me if you want it and we can work something out. It should work good without any emissions stuff hooked up.

·
not banned
5,969 Posts
i pulled mine when i put in a 351W short block.
vacc to: brakes, rotor, pcv, and maybe something else.. not sure as i am "working" :}
headman headers/ custom true dual and flowmaster 40s.
runs like i stole it.
mj

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I thought about removing the emissions equipment as well, but the cost of a trailer and a second truck capable of pulling said loaded trailer is very high and since it is not street legal you will have to trailor it. I dont necessarily buy the idea that removing the smog pump will not have an effect on performance/mpg. An argument for removing the stock fan and replacing it with an electric fan is not only increased performance but improved gas mileage. If you feel that there will be no difference tell us why you think that way.

As I mentioned I subscribe to the idea that if there is one less pully that the motor needs to turn it will lead to better performance. If this is not the case than an electric fan would have even less of an effect on anything as it does not even remove a pully.

BTW getting back to the question, the cost of not having the emissions equipment (trailering, second truck, possible storage), does not make sense IF you are doing it for money saving reasons. There are benefits to not having emissions equipment in terms of offroading, but they only equate to the fact that you have less junk under the hood and things are a little less cluttered. Other than that I dont know of any real benefit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
reason

i was considering doing it as my only use for the vehicle will be using it at a lake home to put my boat in/out of the water. no plans to put it on the highway or put tags on it. i wanted it running smooth and easy to work on.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
i was considering doing it as my only use for the vehicle will be using it at a lake home to put my boat in/out of the water. no plans to put it on the highway or put tags on it. i wanted it running smooth and easy to work on.
Then leave it alone.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so how many of you with a bronco at least 20 years old still have all the emissions equipment hooked up??

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
so how many of you with a bronco at least 20 years old still have all the emissions equipment hooked up??
The ones who still have sense.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok....i give. guess i will leave the emissions and start trying to fix the vacuum leaks and troubleshoot. thanks for the input. the engine was a crate rebuild about 5 years ago, or so i was told, but has crap for power. it has great oil pressure and does not smoke any. it has a motorcraft 2 bbl rebuilt carb (about 3 years ago according to receipts) and is very cold natured. going to change plugs first, then check timing......and go from there. maybe a clogged cat, but will wait on getting that checked. sounds like it skips a little at idle, so i am hoping plugs might help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts