Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago my rear axle (8.8") crapped out on me, and because I didn't have much time and the weather was bad, I just got another one from a boneyard, and the bad axle went into my shed.

However, I want to repair and regear that axle, but there is a slight (?!)problem: the bolt that holds the center pin is broken where the thread ends. :madder. (it was broken well before I got my Bronco)

How do I take that axle apart? Or how do I remove that [email protected]##$%^&* broken bolt? Any ideas?

I was thinking about drilling it out, taping and pulling it out, or using a screw extractor, but I don't feel too comfortable with either method.

TIA

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Me myself

I pass the huge 'ammer across the axle until she spit du part out da back of da axe-L

It work for me, myself

Take a lesson from Chris 340 and beat da sheeeeeeeeet out of it !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips. The sledge hammer method is simple, but I kinda worried about the effect it might have on other parts of the axle, so I'm pretty sure that would be the very last thing I'll try. The explorer article had some good tips in it so I'll probably try #1 then #2 from there.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
As soon as my locking bolt busted on the carrier pin

it was a matter of minutes before the pin wore a huge amount of wear in the carrier housing. It wobbled so bad I knew right away the carrier was toasted, tearing it apart only confirmed this.

Luckily for me my junkyard buddies had a limited slip axle in stock so I done grabbed me it and now I's 3WD !!!!!!!!

Sixlitre

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not surprised that the carrier was ruined :duh I always careful not to do any more additional damage when fixing something.

BTW, I just checked out the JD-LBEK posted by Steve83, and that's a very ingenious tool! :thumbup And a crucial part is just bolt with a hole in it.... :goodfinge

1 - 9 of 9 Posts