Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hard time starting my f-350 and I was told to try ether, but I have never used it before so i just need to know where to spray it and how much to use. Just don't want to do something stupid.

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
what year is the truck?....normally starting fluid is used on carbed models and all you do is spray it into the carb and stand back...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 99 f-350 diesel. I sprayed into the air intake then my battery died so I have to wait for it to charge now. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
WHOA.

Be REAL careful about using ether on a diesel with glow plugs, you'll regret it. One sec and I'll dig up pictures of a truck at work combined with a ****ing moron and ether.

edit: ok nevermind, I couldn't find them...

Basically, I replaced the whole airbox assembly because the kid sprayed ether down the air tube, then got in and turned the key to run... glow plugs came on, and KABOOOOOOOM. Blew fire all the way back out the turbo, no damage luckily, blew the intake tube apart, torched the air filter, and blew the airbox
completely out from under the hood. I mean, like I picked the lid of the airbox up off the ground a good 15 feet away from the front of the truck.

You shoud consider replacing the glowplugs if they're bad, using the block heater, and not using ether. But if you insist on using it, do it with two people, get the engine cranking for a good 5 seconds, and then just shoot a little tiny bit every two or so seconds at the air inlet until she fires up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been told by a couple of people to try the ether, and I did. Nothing happened, didn't even start. I am not saying you are wrong in fact I am not going to use the ether after hearing your story. Any suggestions on how to get it started? It's plugged in(block heater) and is currently being recharged. How do I know for sure if it's the glow plugs? It started yesterday for a minute and hasn't started since. Cranks all day long but no firing.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
What year is it? To check the glow plugs on a diesel, you unplug them and hook up a test light to the + side of the batt. You then touch the glow plug where the electrical prong is. If it lights up, they are bad (grounding internally). This is USUALLY the case. I would say 99.9% of the time.
EDIT: Just saw it was a 99. Different problems (usualy) than the g/p's. Pull codes and see what you have first. A diesel will run on basically anything. I used WD40 to get them going. Not TOO much though or you will be sorry. Just a squirt and see what your results are. I would be willing to bet that you are not getting fuel. Why, is a different question.

Chris

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
99 psd, it is cranking but not starting is leading me to beleive your CPS has done shit the bed.

DO NOT USE ETHER ON A GLOW PLUG ENGINE.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What year is it? To check the glow plugs on a diesel, you unplug them and hook up a test light to the + side of the batt. You then touch the glow plug where the electrical prong is. If it lights up, they are bad (grounding internally). This is USUALLY the case. I would say 99.9% of the time.

Chris
It is a 99

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
be careful that you give it just a small snort, too much and you could cause major detonation.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I have been told by a couple of people to try the ether, and I did. Nothing happened, didn't even start. I am not saying you are wrong in fact I am not going to use the ether after hearing your story. Any suggestions on how to get it started? It's plugged in(block heater) and is currently being recharged. How do I know for sure if it's the glow plugs? It started yesterday for a minute and hasn't started since. Cranks all day long but no firing.
just because ether has been used to cold start diesels for ages does not mean it is safe now. glow plugs and ether is a bad combination.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
you can use it but in small amounts, pretty much in a last resort effort.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
you can use it but in small amounts, pretty much in a last resort effort.
not on a glow plug engine.

CPS = Crank shaft Posistion Sensor.(CAM POSISTION!!!!!!!)

They are like $20 at ford now, and they just recalled all the 7.3L PSD's from 97-2003 because of failures of this sensor.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
I really do not want to answer this question because you are obviously barking up the wrong tree with either. I just about closed this thread when I read that..... I really hate the misconception of using it to start a diesel. 1 it will screw stuff up in a hurry and 2 what purpose does it serve? ok so the truck might have started, what now? its about as bad as saying welp your truck wont start put cam sensor on it. Im going to answer due to some peoples posts here not quite giving you correct information on whats going on besides toss this part or that part on it.

you need to diag this. if you do not feel comfortable then take it to the dealer. first off you mentioned something about the batterys being dead. the PSD is super critical to batt voltage. make sure you have good batterys and clean terminals. I cannot stress this enough and it has caused many people to start over thinking the repair. I have even had trucks that crank fine but have shitty connections to the batterys and cause a no start. It can not suppl enough voltage to the IDM to light off the injectors. check that first....

second check your oil level. the HEUI system requires the proper level of oil to start. check both the dipstick and the resivior.

are your glow plugs working, you need to get a test light out and test the relay to make sure its coming on. if you have a block heater it might help to plug in and get it running, this would indicate a glow plug concern. if it does not help then glow plugs are not likly your cause.

check out what the cluster on the dash is doing. do you get a prove out of wait to start light? check engine light? any weird things going on there with gauges? again another clue to your issue.

Now what is really needed is to perform self tests to figure out if you have any codes leading to the cam sensor, ipr, or icp sensors etc. I assume you cannot check for yourself so I guess you can start tossing parts at it. If all the above is ok I would suggest a possible cam sensor since they are so common but again might not fix your issue. there is an outstanding recall on these too so you can get it done for free if needed. now ford will not cover towing to the shop IIRC. but yes the new ones are only about 20bucks.

besides getting me some codes and test results to get an accurate assessment this is your best bet

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
well we do some times at the grain elevator that i work at. so you can do it. i operate heavy equipment daily, i know it can be done and i know the hazzards of such also.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
well we do some times at the grain elevator that i work at. so you can do it. i operate heavy equipment daily, i know it can be done and i know the hazzards of such also.
heavy equpitment is a whole differnt ball game. I repeat do not do it on a PSD. there are reasons a vehicle has a hard time starting. bottom line! you should not have to use a starting fluid to "start" the truck. Ever thing of fixing it rather than just making do?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
yeah we use it to start a bunch of the cats at work all the time as well. But not on any glow plug engines. ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts