Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
not banned
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get a few nasty bolts out---to remove my bumper.

I have soaked them in penetrant, and tried every BFW i can find.

I even bought an pneumatic impact hammer (granted its a cheap one) and still no luck budging any of them.

In reading posts, my next perceived step is to heat up the nut with a torch.

I don't have a torch. How well do the little hand held propane ones work for this?

thank.s
mj

·
Registered
27 Posts
Take it to a shop and them to loosen them up for you with their wrench. Some places will do it for nothing if they are not busy. I wouldn't mess with a torch. JMHO

·
not banned
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, problem is.. i have pulled fenders / lights / grill already..

kind of cart before the horse :{

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
they work pretty well for cracking that rust. have you tried giving that bolt some good taps with the hammer to break the rust?
often times a big breaker bar will work better than in impact on really stuck fasteners.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
they work pretty well for cracking that rust. have you tried giving that bolt some good taps with the hammer to break the rust?
often times a big breaker bar will work better than in impact on really stuck fasteners.
I vote for the breaker bar. Use it just to losen, and then use the power tools. BUt I have sheared a bolt of two before with the braker before...

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
i used a blue wrench to get a waterpump bolt out when i first got the truck it worked well.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
These come in handy for a gazillion projects around the shop. Also, if you do buy a handheld torch go with MAPP gas. You'll get alot more heat than with propane.

Attachments

·
not banned
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think its liquid wrench, IIRC.

at this point, i wish the darn bolts would just break, but the angle is so odd, its hard to get torque.
mj

·
Registered
117 Posts
This last weekend I had to remove the front and rear bumper from an f150 (same hardware as the Bronco). I had the same problem which I solved with an electric hand grinder. I just ground the heads off the bolts. If I had to do it all over I would use an oxygen/acetylene cutting torch. To get the back bumper to fit on my Bronco I had to cut the 3' x 1/4" steel to shorten it; the cutting torch took only minutes to do the the job. I also had a ball hitch that wouldn't come off so again I used the cutting torch to make to vertical cuts in the nut and it was off within minutes...no straining or busting knuckles.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm with Cracker and 89Bronco302, buy a MAPP gas set. It was the only way I could get the big bolts out that hold the radius arms to the front axle.

Home Depot has a set where you get the torch/handle thingy and two bottles of MAPP gas. I think it costs like $45.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Get a new product called "Rust Breaker" I think its made by Parts master. Auto Value will carry it for sure. Muddin Bronc used it on his whole front ttb on his 80 f250 and didnt have to cut any bolts. The rear end we didnt use it and cut every one. Worked on his EGR nut...

It freezes the rust and eats it. I am sold by it. Otherwise...good luck! I had to take a customers bumper off to put one I built for him on. I ended up having to weld one end of the bolt onto the bumper mount because it was stripped..which is pretty easy to do.

$6 for a can of Rust Breaker. Do it up

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
buy a mapp tank and a 4ft flex hose for the torch. it lets you get into much tighter places, its a must for lots of plumbing work. and another trick i learned is to heat the bolt, rub a candle on it and heat it again, the wax gets drawn into the threads and also lubes the bolt a little

1 - 20 of 26 Posts