Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the short question is - how well do pellet smokers work as a grill?

the context is...i have a propane grill, a propane smoker and a charcoal grill. i'd like to replace the propane smoker with a pellet smoker. and if i can use it as a grill, too, then i could ditch my charcoal grill.

then i would have just the propane grill and the pellet grill/smoker.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,396 Posts
Just get a treager grill, it can replace all the above. (May have misspelled the name)

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
couple of my friends have them..fine for smoking but I wouldn't use one as a grill..

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,396 Posts
couple of my friends have them..fine for smoking but I wouldn't use one as a grill..
I could argue that point, my old neighbor had one and he used it all the time, as long as you know what your doing it produces some fine bbq my taste buds can verify.

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking around there are tons of people who use it as a grill. I'm thinking this might be a better option than what I had in my mind for my patio cooking setup.

·
Registered
804 Posts
so the short question is - how well do pellet smokers work as a grill?

the context is...i have a propane grill, a propane smoker and a charcoal grill. i'd like to replace the propane smoker with a pellet smoker. and if i can use it as a grill, too, then i could ditch my charcoal grill.

then i would have just the propane grill and the pellet grill/smoker.
Similar boat, natural gas grill, charcoal grill and a charcoal smoker. Each serves a purpose and there may be some crossover, however they're each built to do something different.

I would be afraid of a "jack of all trades, but master of none."

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Similar boat, natural gas grill, charcoal grill and a charcoal smoker. Each serves a purpose and there may be some crossover, however they're each built to do something different.

I would be afraid of a "jack of all trades, but master of none."
Well I'm still keeping my propane. I just cook out there too often to keep the necessary inventory of charcoal to sustain it. But sometimes I want the extra flavor. So that's where using the pellet grill/smoker as my regular wood burning grill. The oddest thing to me is the idea of plugging in the grill.

·
Registered
1981 Austrailan Bronco | 4x4 | 351C | C6 3spd Column Shift | Manual Transfer | Manual Hubs
4 Posts
Keeping a supply of pellets is at least as much hassle as keeping a supply of charcoal.

Traeger or Yoder make great pellet smokers. They'd both burn through a lot of pellets using them to grill on rather than smoking. Charcoal will be a lot cheaper although not as set and forget as a pellet.

If it's just for grilling maybe look at a PK or a Weber kettle. Easy to use and clean and you can use lump or briquettes.

I've got 6 bbqs (and an understanding wife) and I just ordered a PK and still want an offset someday.

Happy BBQing!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Do the pellet smokers “over smoke”? My BIL has one that uses compressed disks and everything comes out over done - all you get is way to intense smoke flavor hiding what ever meat he’s adulterated.

Somewhat old school, but have a 22” Weber Smokey Mountain and learned early on to load the bottom grate with wood chunks early, wood chunks late, but nothing but slow charcoal in between for the best results. Always wondered how you pull that off with a pellet/puck smoker.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Do the pellet smokers “over smoke”? My BIL has one that uses compressed disks and everything comes out over done - all you get is way to intense smoke flavor hiding what ever meat he’s adulterated.

Somewhat old school, but have a 22” Weber Smokey Mountain and learned early on to load the bottom grate with wood chunks early, wood chunks late, but nothing but slow charcoal in between for the best results. Always wondered how you pull that off with a pellet/puck smoker.
Depends on what kind of wood/pellets you're using. Some have more robust flavors than others. Smoke flavor also depends on technique. It could be that your brother-in-law has poor/lazy technique and is using a robust wood.

·
Registered
804 Posts
It could be that your brother-in-law has poor/lazy technique and is using a robust wood.
In the interest of domestic tranquillity, I won't answer that the way I'd like! LOL

Actually, I think it's a fairly common problem. Folks new to smoking think more is better and tend to over do it. Flavor should be subtle and compliment not over power.

Depends on what kind of wood/pellets you're using. Some have more robust flavors than others. Smoke flavor also depends on technique.
To get the smoke-low heat-smoke on a charcoal smoker I use a modified 'Minion' or double donut method. Let's say we're smoking a turkey using applewood.

I would place a ring of unlit charcoal with large apple chunks around the outer perimeter of the grate, then a wider ring inside of that with no apple chunks.

When it's time to fire up, light a chimney full of plain charcoal. When they're good and gray, pour those into the center of the donut, assembled the smoker, put your Turkey on, add water and just before buttoning everything up, toss a few applewood chunks on the center of the fire.

As the charcoal ignites and burns outward, you get smoke-heat-smoke... all at a perfect 225° maintained by an older Flameboss 200.

Always have wondered how you would pull that off with a pellet smoker - or if it was really even necessary.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
In the interest of domestic tranquillity, I won't answer that the way I'd like! LOL
Ha!

Actually, I think it's a fairly common problem. Folks new to smoking think more is better and tend to over do it. Flavor should be subtle and compliment not over power.

To get the smoke-low heat-smoke on a charcoal smoker I use a modified 'Minion' or double donut method. Let's say we're smoking a turkey using applewood.

I would place a ring of unlit charcoal with large apple chunks around the outer perimeter of the grate, then a wider ring inside of that with no apple chunks.

When it's time to fire up, light a chimney full of plain charcoal. When they're good and gray, pour those into the center of the donut, assembled the smoker, put your Turkey on, add water and just before buttoning everything up, toss a few applewood chunks on the center of the fire.

As the charcoal ignites and burns outward, you get smoke-heat-smoke... all at a perfect 225° maintained by an older Flameboss 200.

Always have wondered how you would pull that off with a pellet smoker - or if it was really even necessary.
The biggest problem is usually using Hickory wood. That is some robust flavor and it doesn't take much for it to saturate the meat.

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Came just before 10pm last night. Finished assembling about 1230am this morning. Doing the initial burn off procedure now. Ribs tonight. Brisket tomorrow.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Once you get a pellet smoker you will wonder why you spent so much time cooking any other way.

I use a Louisiana grill vertical pellet smoker from Costco. Same as a Pit boss series 7.

Smoking is great but I also do a lot of BBQ on my Santa Maria Pit. If you want a good sear Wood is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you want a good sear Wood is the way to go
the sear seems to be the achilles heel of pellet smokers. but, that's ok. i found a couple ways to try to get a decent sear out of them. regardless, i am keeping my propane grill as well, so i'm not concerned. after cooking one of the best racks of ribs i've ever cooked and hands down the best brisket i've ever cooked, i'm satisfied.

going to get rid of my propane smoker and charcoal grill and just use the propane grill and pellet grill. that'll free up some space on my patio, too, which is nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts