Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm Chris or call me Julio. I stumbled onto the site a couple weeks ago while I was looking for parts for my first Bronco, a 1979. The first full size Broncos are my favorites. I came across this one for a price I could afford and I was lamenting selling my 1974 IH Scout II over the summer. It just needed so much done to it to lift it up higher and turn it into the beast I was hoping for. I jumped at the chance to buy this Bronco, the parts are a lot cheaper for Broncos and easier to find, and mechanics are more willing to work on them too.

I call the 78/79's the Bigfoot body style, they're totally rad trucks I'm looking forward to making some small improvements and getting this thing to be a daily driver.

[/IMG]

Here's the stats.
351 Cleveland
auto
6" SOA lift
35x12.50x15 Wrangler MT/R
15" chrome alloys
Leather buckets out of a Honda
Metallic Blue and White paint scheme

it's pretty basic actually, been a trail truck so there was some real stupid wiring done and the interior was stripped and rhino lined front to back. That stuff is the hardest thing to clean out dirt, dust, and grime from. I've been cleaning it up getting it looking better and rewiring it so all the lights and gauges work.

A few of the upgrades I plan on doing... recoating the bed liner, swapping out busted locking console and maybe making a cooler console or something or an amp mounting area. I've started the design work on doing a custom waterproof subwoofer box w/ marine grade subs that will fit in the back panel area, and doing diamond plate panels for the sides and tail gate. I'd like to redo the entire dash and doors and get rid of the faux wood trim we'll just work on thing at a time I guess.

If any of y'all have done similar things I've love to see pics and hear stories about the fabrication and installs.

Julio

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,403 Posts
Welcome! Congrats on the Bronco. :thumbup Cool truck.

A couple of details:
-They're all SOA, so it's not a phrase we use much. We hear SAS (Solid Axle Swap) pretty frequently, since rockcrawlers like solid axles.
-78s & 79s are the only FSBs with a factory solid front axle. Those of us with later trucks have to do some work to get what you already have.
-The engine is most likely a 351m. They quit making Clevelands in about 74. The C & M are similar. Ford replaced the C with the M so they could use the same block for 351s & 400s. The M heads & valve covers look like a C, so they are commonly confused. It's possible that someone swapped in a Cleveland, but they have the smaller 302 bellhousing pattern, so it would likely have replaced a 302. Since the blocks on a 351m & a 400 are the same, if you want more cubes you're off to a good start. Also, the 351m bellhousing pattern is the same as a 460, if you really want to go big.

Again, congrats & welcome! 78/79s are very very cool. Keep us posted on your build.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Man!

Great info, very helpful. The first thing I noticed when I crawled underneath it was the supports to the lift attached to the axle, not under or over. On the Scouts the leaf springs were under from the factory, so you'd add a leaf or do that cut and roll to mount the lift over the top. The Bronco way seems much easier and stable. This one doesn't have road wobble or the bounce I've noticed on a lot of lifted SUV's. I don't think I'll have any probs with twisting up the frame either.

The guy I bought it from said the engine was a Cleveland out of an older truck, a 72-74 he wasn't sure which. I really don't know the difference but I've been doing some reading and learning. I'm excited about it, one good thing is I don't have to worry about remembering where I parked with this Bronco, it sits about 2 feet above any other car in parking lots.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
welcome to FSB, bad ass truck you have there. i really like the paint job. post up more pics when you can.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Welcome to FSB and thanks in advance for giving me your D44 solid axle. :histerica ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few more pics

Changing the spark plugs today turned into putting in a new air filter, and scrubbing all of the surfaces I could reach, definitely running better and looking better under the hood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts