Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to FSB.com....got me an 86 eddie buer with the 5.0 in it. I put some 35x12.5s on it and it seems kinda underpowered now. I got a EZ power converter that hooks up directly to the Altinator and puts out(supposidly) 300-3000 watss depending on engine speed. So im thinkin of hooking up a 650cfm or bigger Cinterfugel fan up to it and my airbox. Any input out there?

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I'm confused, you have an 86 BKO 5.0 which suggets it's an EFI, right? and you're thinking of hooking up a 650cfm..?....carburetor...or a bigger fan....?

"search" this thread by FSB member Sixlitre - ignition & timing upgrade - for a simple performance tip to increase power range and better mpg's .....35's add extra rolling weight affecting mpg's and performance.......:doh0715:

There's a ton of ghetto fab threads to "search" for K & N filters, using different air tubes from later model Broncos, fabing air tubes, Mass air conversions, moving the air box from the top of the engine, relocating it off to the drivers side fender liner for cold air etc.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
hes thinking of hooking up a leaf blower(electric supercharger ebay calls it i think) to his intake:smilie_slap

not really worth it/no real gains/ alternater will take the hp you gain from it.

and welcome:rockon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah its fuel njected....first year the bronco had fuel injection if i understand right....As far as the Altinator using up any power i would gain from hooking up a 700cfm cinterfugel(still cant spell that right) fan well thats exactlly why i was asking for advice/opinions....I just got this dc power converter lying around not doin anything and thought "Hey maybe it could runa a high pressur high flow fan fast enough to help my truck out" its just sittin there otherwise and i cant even come close to affording a supercharger so....

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Yeah its fuel njected....first year the bronco had fuel injection if i understand right....As far as the Altinator using up any power i would gain from hooking up a 700cfm cinterfugel(still cant spell that right) fan well thats exactlly why i was asking for advice/opinions....I just got this dc power converter lying around not doin anything and thought "Hey maybe it could runa a high pressur high flow fan fast enough to help my truck out" its just sittin there otherwise and i cant even come close to affording a supercharger so....
Not trying to be a complete dick, but there is a reason no makes an electric supercharger anyone respects. You just can't make the airflow you need while making the electricity as well.

IIRC a stock 302 pulls 600cfm at WOT. So you aren't going to get much boost(Think less then a PSI) and you are going to put a big load on your electrical system. Thus you alt is going to be robbing you of any power you might be making. And that is assuming maximum efficiency in getting the 700cfm into the engine

I hate to break it to you, but it aint gonna work.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Hi im new to FSB.com....got me an 86 eddie buer with the 5.0 in it. I put some 35x12.5s on it and it seems kinda underpowered now. I got a EZ power converter that hooks up directly to the Altinator and puts out(supposidly) 300-3000 watss depending on engine speed. So im thinkin of hooking up a 650cfm or bigger Cinterfugel fan up to it and my airbox. Any input out there?
Two things...

1) Bad idea

2) Spell Check

...That is all.

·
Low Buck Bum
3,543 Posts
The drag caused by the alternator trying to produce that much more amperage will more than offset the meager 50-100 cfm increase in airflow you'll achieve.

35" tires and no power? You might consider that your overall gearing has gone waaaaayyyy off the reservation, as you'll find information here that says you need 4.56 gears to return your ration to roughly stock numbers.

Lots to learn on this site, look around, I saved more than enough money here, so much in the last couple months that the few bucks I dropped to become a fullsize member weren't even noticed.:rockon

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
this is one of those things that falls under the classification of.......

props for trying to think outside the box though.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Ive got this old supercharger out of my Seadoo laying around. I daydreamed
of hooking up to my bronco. Wouldnt really be that hard to fab a bracket and
a pulley onto it and run the necessary tubing. I wonder......

Back

Front

These can be had all day for around $100 because most people "like me"
have to replace them before 100 hours of use on account of a clutch design
flaw.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica

Oh wait, your seriouse...

:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey it was just an idea....i do appriciate most of your guys input. Sounds like my suspicion that it would be a complete waste of time is agreed on by...well all of you. So what are my options for gearing down my truck? iv got a pretty much non excistant income....Hey has anybody ever thought about what it would take to drop a new 5.0(coyote/roadrunner) in a bronco? That could be kinda cool;)

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Some one treid it few years back and it failed miserably. 4.56 gears would work wonders for your rig. The Coyote engine would be awseome to swap in, but lets be realistic here, if you can't afford a real forced induction set up, how can you afford a coyote motor??

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
first what gears do you have? there is a code on the door, ex. h5 is a 4.10 with limited slip and h6 is 3.55 with limited slip, if its 3.55 or numerically higher, like 3.08s you can go to a junkyard and get some 4.10s for under $500(high side)

if your low on a budget just deal with it and use 4l offroad and save you coins till you can afford a regear

you got an 86 5.0, pull codes and do a tuneup on it, and 6litre ignition upgrade.

how many miles on it? and what trans?

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
...or just drive around in 4lo with the front hubs unlocked.

lol I ran 38's with 3.54's for years. Wasnt bad in 4lo as long as it didnt shift.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
If you've got the time, tools and talent you could IIRC just buy a 5.0 long block rebuild kit for well under $1,000 and do it yourself......:shrug

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah ill check which gears i got when i get home from school....I know i could never afford a coyote swap but how badass would that be right. My trucks got over a hundred thou on it but the dealer said he did a tune up on it right before i bought it....if you can trust a used carsalesman but the plugs and wires look new. Really could use new everything...think my nachos have seen better days and the rest of the suspension and steering componets prob need replaced too....it definatelly dont drive like a sports car and is pretty bumpy so its kinda like where to start

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Sounds like my suspicion that it would be a complete waste of time is agreed on by...well all of you.

When you initially posted this yesterday you might of noticed you were banned from FSB because I had thought you were a spammer. I was informed by one of my "colleagues" that you were a legite "non-spammer". Welcome back to FSB, one of the few that has a chance at becoming "un-banned". :histerica

Now, don't waste your time with your electric blower or you might be pushing your Bronco around like that Ranger in the video.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So i looked at my door sticker....so faded i could hardly read it but i think it said i had an axle code of "O"....oh and thanks for un banning me :rockon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts