Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Jason, 37, and my home is in McDonald TN, but I am currently living in Iraq. My mom passed away last month after a long battle with cancer, and I will soon be taking possession of her 1985 Bronco XLT with a 5.8 HO. I have many years of both professional and hobby level mechanical and restoration experience, and have owned an impressive array of cars and bikes over the years...mostly Mustangs. I have a lot of Ford knowledge, but very little Bronco specific knowledge...thus the reason for joining here.

My plans for the truck are simple...I want to return it to a daily drivable, nice looking vehicle to tow my 31' travel trailer short distances, and my boat to the river. I am not looking to make a monster out of it, or a show truck, and its off road use will be minimal. This Bronco was my mom's pride and joy for many years, and she would not part with it. She traded a 1988 Jeep Wrangler (that she / I won in a contest) for it in 1989. It was a low mileage one owner trade in at that time and was in perfect condition. She drove it daily for many years, until a carb fire did a little damage to the hood. The resulting time it took to repair the carb and assorted damaged peices relegated the Bronco to second vehicle status, and it began to spend more time just sitting. As time took its toll, it was driven less and less, and eventually became a farm truck, or a horse trailer puller. I offered to buy this truck MANY times, but as I said, she loved it and what it represented to her. She would NOT sell it. Now that she has passed, I will inherit it, and I want it to remain in the family as a much loved family fun vehicle. It will need work, however, and I will accept any help I can get on the project, as time and funds are short (as always). I will be returning from Iraq permanently sometime after Thanksgiving and the project will begin. This truck will need (at a minimum) a new hood, paint work, some interior refreshing, a headliner, a carb, tires (it has 33s on it now i think), a/c work, and more than a few gaskets and tune up parts. I am not begging for parts or sevices here, but if anyone has some of this stuff they want to let go cheap, or has some specific knowledge of things I should know, please feel free to pass it along.

I am no stranger to internet forums, so I know how most of this works...so feel free to flame away and blast me as a no0b all you want...I can flame right back with the best here.

Thanks for the time to intro myself, and I welcome your responses.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Welcome to FSB, we don't flame soldiers in uniform and God Bless you for the job you're doing! :thumbup

Great DIY tech sources are:
FSB ~ "search" above will yield tons of first hand threads and pics from all of us here..
www.fordfuelinjection.com EFI code numbers, explanations and Test Connectors and diagnostic procedures.
www.broncolinks.com ~ Broncos and F150's bountifull tech source
www.supermotors.net ~ FSB sister site, joins FREE for more stuff

Good Luck and come home safe ~ :usa

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome aboard! Thank you and God bless you for the job you do to keep us safe here! :armed

I have an 86 and when I bought it, it came with a buncha stuff in a crate. I will try to sort through it, see what I have and let you know what's there, in case you might need anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to FSB. I also want to say thanks for what you do. I have been there in Iraq myself. Stay safe and I hope you have a speedy trip home.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for the good wishes...and a happy 4th to all who love America and the freedoms we enjoy!!!

Thank a vet every time you get a chance...Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard, and dont forget the civilian contractors that support our armed forces at home and abroad...

firerod63...thanks, and let me know if you find anything...

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
welcome to the world of bronco. so whats your mos? were in iraq? heading back state side as we speek myself in like 58 hours or so. god luck with your project and get home safe.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Welcome, I'm a noob also but I mostly wanted to say thank you for being one of few who love America enough to defend it. Thank you for the freedom we enjoy everyday. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks all again...I am in Baghdad, but that is about all I can say on here really. the uppers frown on giving specifics. i am blessed enough to not be getting shot at much anymore. i spend most of my time telling others what to do and sitting behing this computer :) God is good! :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Welcome to FSB.

Spent 18 months at VBC myself, down in Basra now though for the past 18 months, see ya round!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Basra...Moo Zain. I go thru VBC quite a bit. They have added a lot lately for recreation. I have spent time at JBB (Anaconda), Hammer, Taji, and now here.

Be safe down there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Big Hooah from Oregon (Ex tanker by enlistment, Fulltime tanker for life... hence the Bronco).

I'll be watching your posts so I can learn from your questions to see if they apply to my '85. If I find parts I will keep you posted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts