Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while back about my new 86 Bronco, it had an electrical fire under the dash. Was worse than I thought, got a new harness from the junk yard, paid qualified electrical mechanic to put it in. Now she's running.

Now for the "restoration". I call it a restoration but it is in fact in pretty good shape, it spent the last 20 years in Florida. I have a few questions:

- Is LMC the best place for interior panels, carpet and such?

- Seat cushions are toast, very uncomfortable, what do you recommend, replacement of the seat or repair?

- It's hard for me to benchmark, I can't really compare it to my newer trucks, and I have not driven another Bronco, but let me know if these "Driving Characteristics" are normal, if not what might be wrong:
1. Hard shifting transmission, it shifts fairly hard regardless of if I'm on the throttle or not (my Aunt gave me the Bronco and indicated it got a new tranny about 4 years and approx 25-35K miles ago)
2. Not too much body roll in a corner but if I take it from one side quickly to the other, the transition is kinda freaky
3. Hissing noise from the engine (vacuum leak??)
4. Ticking noise from the engine (lifters?), the rebuilt engine is less than a year old and only has 2K miles on it, can't imagine it would be the lifters.
5. I'm acutally a little surprised at the power of the 302 I was expecting it to be a real dog, but acceleration isn't bad, braking was also better than expected

All comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Gilligan said:
I posted a while back about my new 86 Bronco, it had an electrical fire under the dash. Was worse than I thought, got a new harness from the junk yard, paid qualified electrical mechanic to put it in. Now she's running.

Now for the "restoration". I call it a restoration but it is in fact in pretty good shape, it spent the last 20 years in Florida. I have a few questions:

- Is LMC the best place for interior panels, carpet and such?

- Seat cushions are toast, very uncomfortable, what do you recommend, replacement of the seat or repair?

- It's hard for me to benchmark, I can't really compare it to my newer trucks, and I have not driven another Bronco, but let me know if these "Driving Characteristics" are normal, if not what might be wrong:
1. Hard shifting transmission, it shifts fairly hard regardless of if I'm on the throttle or not (my Aunt gave me the Bronco and indicated it got a new tranny about 4 years and approx 25-35K miles ago)
2. Not too much body roll in a corner but if I take it from one side quickly to the other, the transition is kinda freaky
3. Hissing noise from the engine (vacuum leak??)
4. Ticking noise from the engine (lifters?), the rebuilt engine is less than a year old and only has 2K miles on it, can't imagine it would be the lifters.
5. I'm acutally a little surprised at the power of the 302 I was expecting it to be a real dog, but acceleration isn't bad, braking was also better than expected

All comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Love my 86 too

Does the seat feel like a toilet ? (no support under the middle of you). I've skinned off my bucket covers twice and sprayed adhesive on the old foam and added 1" padding, then hog ringed the covers back on. Made all the difference in the world.

Urethane bushings, especially on the sway bars made all the difference to my handling and surefootedness on mine.

Hissing could be a worn spindle bushing on your throttle body. Get a can of alcohol and spray around there while it's ruuning an dlisten for rises in the rpm.

Try a little crankcase additive to the oil just before you change it and see if the ticking doesn't go away.

You can really wake up your EFI'd 302 with a few ignition and exhaust mods. Mine is fairly respectable now.

Sixlitre

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
The ticking noise might also be an exhaust leak at the manafold.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Seabronc said:
The ticking noise might also be an exhaust leak at the manafold.
Too true Seabronc

I done fergot that one.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The ticking could also be a noisy injector......no?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions, first order of business will be to fix the "toilet" seat. ;) I can check for vacuum leaks and a leaky/cracked manifold, but how would I test the injectors?

Also, as mentioned the orgininal engine was swaped out for a rebuilt engine, typically what comes with the new rebuilt engine and what is re-used from the old engine. I would assume the heads and intake manifold would come with the rebuilt and only thinks like starters and altenators would be re-used. What about those injectors?

My heater doesn't work either, but I've been reading up on those threads. The thermostat is definitly stuck open, I'll replace that on Sat, but I did manage to see the temp guage reach almost normal for a few minutes and still no heat, so it might be more than just the thermostat, but I hope not.

Thanks again.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
Gilligan said:
Thanks for the suggestions, first order of business will be to fix the "toilet" seat. ;) I can check for vacuum leaks and a leaky/cracked manifold, but how would I test the injectors?

Also, as mentioned the orgininal engine was swaped out for a rebuilt engine, typically what comes with the new rebuilt engine and what is re-used from the old engine. I would assume the heads and intake manifold would come with the rebuilt and only thinks like starters and altenators would be re-used. What about those injectors?

My heater doesn't work either, but I've been reading up on those threads. The thermostat is definitly stuck open, I'll replace that on Sat, but I did manage to see the temp guage reach almost normal for a few minutes and still no heat, so it might be more than just the thermostat, but I hope not.

Thanks again.
I have been real successful at finding noises by using a piece of tubing. Put one end to your ear and move the other end around listening for the noise. You should be able to pinpoint it that way. Even if it is a fuel injector. In fact while I'm thinking of it. I had a loud tick once that turned out to be the cable from the coil to the distributor not being fully in the distributor cap. The tick was the spark jumping to the contact in the distributor. It actually sounded like a bad rocker or lifter.

Good luck,

:thumbup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts