Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Hub and Brake question

915 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  bad96 
#1 ·
I bought a 1988 Bronco about a month ago. I am trying to change the hubs and brakes in front. I ordered the hubs and the ones that showed up aren't the right ones, so I started looking and i think the guy that had the truck before me put hubs and rotors on it from a Bronco 2. I'm not sure if this is possible or not. The hubs that are on it now are all enclosesed and the rotor is seperate. I think the one's that belong on it are all one piece. If he did put hubs from a bronco 2 did he have to change the caliper and axle? I need to know how to tell the difference between the two so i can order brakes. The other problem I have is that I am in the Air Force and stationed in Germany so I can't just take the parts to the local autozone and see what fits. Thanks for all the help. Eric

#2 ·
#5 ·
tophat hubs

I missed what you said about the tophat hubs on the other post. What do the tophat hubs look like? The ones that i have on mine don't have any screws around the top like all the other ones that i have seen. Did they make a full size bronco with that type of hub or was it just the bronco 2?

#6 ·
Those are called Tophat hubs
Gacknar said:
But there where a few years that Broncos/F-150s came with tophat hubs, like a Ranger Bronco II, Explorer
Fixed it. :toothless

#7 ·
hubs

so the hubs that are on it are the ones that are supposed to be on it? And if so where do i purchase them from or can i order the rotor and hub assembly and install some warn hubs? i dont know alot about 4x4's so what is your opinion about this?

#8 ·
Gacknar said:
:stupid

Didja read the thead?
That thread is about those hubs and changing them out.

I'v never had those style hubs on a Full size so I dont know much about them.
(Just that they exist)
Those guys in there will know more about it than me :toothless

#9 ·
change them out if you ever plan on wheeling or lifting the truck. That type of "top hat" hub dosen't allow for the wheel bearing spacing to be as far apart as the other bko's, so they tend to wear out more often also the hubs are really expensive, unless salvaged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.