Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passenger hub assembly has crazy play in it right now. Then come to find out the bearings have crapped out on me. I just ordered a Haynes manual, does the manual break down everything and show how to replace the bearings? :popc1:

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
If I recall my Hayne's and Chilton's manual left something to be desired as far as replacing/repacking the bearings were concerned. There are some excellent write-ups on here, though. That's what I used.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I like to use timken bearings, napa brand is usually reboxed timken. Couple of pretty good write ups on here and some good diagrams in Steve83's supermotors.

Once you get the first snap ring off that holds the hub body onto the spindle...its all pretty easy after that.

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Get all the needed tools also. Rent a tool is very helpful.

Also pull the spindle and do those seals and inspect the bearing back there. It's only 6 more nuts.

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
My Haynes manual is a bit better than the Chiltons, IMO. As far as parts go check out JBY for a Timken bearing and seal kit or Rockauto.com, I've also discovered AutoPartstomorrow.com has great prices. If you can't wait for parts to be shipped hit up O'reillys, go to their website and get all the part numbers then take the list to the store with you, makes things easier

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I followed the installation method, and it worked. Someone told me to do it a different way and their way did not work. So, I'd say Haynes' way is good.

·
Super Moderator
26,972 Posts
yo,
Do you have the Flange Style (Top Hat) Hub Locks?
by Steve83
SM is down so thumbnail pic will appear when it comes back on-line

Non_top Hat:
Wheel & Spindle Seals

Replacement in a 90 (part of his ball joint installation)
Source: by Iolaus (Jeff J) at http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141208

Replacement, Description & Operation, Diagnosis & Testing, Disassembly & Assembly, & Specifications
Source: by Dana via thedieselfiles.com

Wheel Bearing Locknut Torque Settings for 80-96 MANUAL HUBS, NOT Factory Auto Hubs; Ford Pickups and Bronco; "...Using a lockout spanner (Ford # T59T-1197-B or equivalent) and a torque wrench, tighten the inner bearing adjusting nut to 50 foot pounds while rotating the wheel back and forth and seating the bearing. Back off the adjusting nut approximately 45 degrees. Assemble the lock washer by turning the inner lockout to align the pin with the nearest hole in the lock washer. To lock it, install the outer lock nut and tighten it to 150 foot pounds. Grab the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom of the tire with the other. Move the tire in and out on the spindle. End play should be less than .006 – inch.).." Thanks to Chris!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
not a hard task at all to complete. I knocked mine out when i first got it.

Write-ups on here. make sure you have all tools you need or you will be needing a ride back to the store since yours will be outta commision for the hour or two.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Not hard, like was said just stack everything up in the order it came out in. Haynes will have the proper torque specks for the bearings, follow the instructions.

Tips:
Synthetic grease repeals moisture far better than regular grease. I highly recommend it, especially if you foresee any water crossings in your future.

Buy a dental style pick, they sell them on the tool isle at Advance Autoparts. This will make the internal snap ring that holds the internal locking hub in the hub body faaaaarrr easier to remove.

After your done, take it for a short test drive then jack the front back up and check for play in the wheel.

Other than that, good luck :thumbup

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is def a good write-up. I have it bookmarked cuz i noticed that i have a some play as well and need to tackle this soon.
X2 thats a damn good write up there.

My bearings are talking like crazy I know they are bad and need to be replaced. But won’t be able to get around to doing that till next week.

I drove to work this morning you could feel a little bit of drag from them and when i stopped the passenger rim was a little bit warmer than the rest.

Everything it greased up. I need it to make me home. We have a FSB meet and greet tomorrow (only 3 miles from the house) and to work Monday then to the garage to replace. Do you think it’s ok to drive it?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
i drove mine like that from richmond to the d.c. area...i don't think you should have a problem with under 50 miles.

i have a present for you and your truck :D saw it yesterday and thought i'd snag it for ya

1 - 20 of 20 Posts