Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got my sa and now i need to know ho to get the hubs and rotors off.i pulled the cap off and took the first snap ring off and i cant get that little round thing off.ive torched the hell outa but nothing. am i doing something wrong?.everthing is rusted and most of it had to be torched to get off.please i need some help.o and i did search but didnt get anything on the SA.thanx

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
good lord, you're brutal on small parts. There's a small snap ring over the end of the axle shaft, that needs to come off, before the hub gear comes out. After that, it's all a simple job. If the hubs are rusted in there, you'll want to spray off and on all day today, and try to get the spindle nuts off each side, tomorrow - that is, if you don't get lucky with it today :shrug

Good luck! and put away the torch :twak

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool one side took me 2 and a half hours to figure out and the other tooke me 10 minutes.then i took the spindle nuts off but the damn thing wont come off the calliper bracket.i heated it up and tommorow im gonna beat the shit outa it till it comes off unless someone has a better idea:smash

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Yeha, I've got a better idea - stop what you're doing... and take a minute to see what's preventing you form progressing, and to see how it's all put together

Or, get a bigger hammer

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
I'm gonna assume you've got the thing reduced to a bare spindle, caliper bracket, and dust shield stuck to the knuckle. Rap on the caliper bracket, front and back alternately and work it off the studs. Don't beat on the spindle. They'll both come off together if they're pretty rusted. Then you can soak em in penetrant and work them apart without wrecking them. Being patient will save you some money and hide. Good luck.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeah when I got to this point with my junkyard axle I nearly went postal trying to get that fargging spindle off the knuckle. I grabbed the spindle with a shop rag and pulled while a friend rapped on the knuckle with a ball peen. stay calm and it will come off.:thumbup

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Have fun!

Just go out and spend $800 on a plasma cutter, close your eyes and wave it around for a few minutes. If you wave in the right directions you'll find a spindle on the ground.:goodfinge

·
haaarrrrr haaaarrrr
1,384 Posts
Gub_Ni said:
Just go out and spend $800 on a plasma cutter, close your eyes and wave it around for a few minutes. If you wave in the right directions you'll find a spindle on the ground.:goodfinge
well thats one way to do it :lolup personally i use a 10lb slide hammer with the spindle removal tool screwed on, takes bout 3 or 4 good whacks.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya i got it off with a BFH and a feww good blows.the spindle is still on the bracket and prolly just gonna buy new spindle and bracket .i was taking apart the ball joints but i guess theres some kind or lock nut on the upper joint.do i need another tool fer this?

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
Gub_Ni said:
Wow, isn't that what Obi-Wan was teaching Luke how to do in that spacemovie?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes you need a special socket for the upper balljoint.....to get the split ring thing out...thats inside the castle nut. I got mine at broncograveyard.com but u can prob. get one locally.

·
Premium Member
12,535 Posts
Yes you need a special socket for the upper balljoint.....to get the split ring thing out...thats inside the castle nut. I got mine at broncograveyard.com but u can prob. get one locally.
Dude really? A 10 year old thread and your telling him he needs a special socket?

·
Registered
52 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts