Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to remove the ProComp Hub I removed 2 snap rings on the inner side. my instructor said the whole rest of the hub should slide out but i cant seem to get them to slide out of the housing. does any one have a diagram? because i cant get it out.... thanks, kacy

·
Registered
511 Posts
Have you removed the Giant "C clip"? It fits into a groove that's about 1/4 '' inside the inside edge of the hub.

What year bronco are you working with?...it makes a difference so we know how to give you advice....

·
Registered
511 Posts
If the inside c clip and the inner snap ring are off then you should be able to rethread 2 of the bolts back on (the ones that hold the outside cap on)...do that so you have something to grab onto and just slide it out. It may be too greasy or slippery to pull out without threading 2 of the screws back on.
If the hubs are thrashed and/or destroyed inside then you may have to MUSCLE it off. There's not anything else that should be holding it on.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i have both off. i screw 2 bolts back into it then try to pull. i dont get even a budge. i can push the most iner gear type thing in and out ( which ingages the shaft ) but i can not get any of the other parts out. is there a hidden c clip or snap ring? im not a lil guy but i cant pull it out. what else can i do. does anyone know.

thank kacy

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
you got 1 snap ring holding the axle in place and a snap ring holding the hub assembly in. If you have both of these snap rings removed, there is no reason they shouldn't slide out at this point.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Make sure that there wasn't 2 ring holding the hub in. I have ran into a couple of axles that had one snap ring on the axle and two holding the hub in.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well there is somthing in the back of the assembly we all thought was a snap ring but it had no ends we couldnt find out how to take it off. i moves around like a snap ring but we coulnt get it out. is there somthing im doing wrong? is there any pictures to make sure were on the same page?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well here are the pictures. sorry they arnt any bigger but im stuck and only have my phone. in picture 2 and 3 there is a black ring. in the back were the axle stub is.

·
Banned
18,425 Posts
Jeff
That C-clip is behind the hub lock, which is what he can't remove.

kacy
It looks like you're doing this with the wheel still on the ground. If the wheel bearings aren't adjusted properly, the stub shaft can bind in the lock bearing & prevent the lock from coming out. Try taking jacking the tire up to remove the weight from it, then see if the lock will move.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I'm looking at your picture of what you took off and I am puzzled. At this point the hub should slide out. When you finally figure it out, please let us know what the problem was.

·
Banned
18,425 Posts
Reach inside the steering knuckle & jiggle the U-joint. Does the lock body seem to be stuck to the stub shaft, or to the hub? In any case, all you can do at this point is pull. Try to pull PERFECTLY straight out of the hub, and try to distribute the load evenly across as many cap screws as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well heres my plan for tommorrow. get a steal plate. drill the 6 holes thread a slide hammer and try to bang it out.... only way i tried. i can pull alot of weight and cant budge this.

·
Banned
18,425 Posts
That should do it, but if it's not happening in 2-3 good hits, there's something seriously wrong. Spray penetrating oil all inside it while you're building your plate.

·
Repo'd
1,570 Posts
Wait wait wait.
You are missing a ring.
If I am seeing everything correctly you took your hub apart and the bigger ring that is sitting in the picture came out of your hub inside.
I may be missing something but are you sure you took the outter ring
off of the outside lip of the hub.
Did you have to get a pick and go around the outside of the hub to take the ring out?

If you did than ignore this post.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts