Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1988 Bronco (EB) 5.0, 302.....I think my truck is *ucked! I noticed a wobbling feeling the other day when i was driving to work. today i pulled my wheels off today to inspect the drums. well to my surprise i found that the 2 rear hubs on my truck are different. I just had brakes put on it (2 new drums) and the drum on the passanger side fit like a glove but the one on the driver side is way big. It seems the hub on the drivers side is smaller (middle diameter) than the one on the passanger side. I was told the only way to fix this wobbling feeling is....1. find a drum that fits this hub correctly, or 2. find another hub. Iam so confused.

The hub on the passanger side reads (in the center part) @ 3 1/2" in diameter and the one on the driver side reads @ 3" in diameter. I dont know measurements that why i say @. if you guys know what im talking about PLEASE HELP. Thanks

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
now i think im really *ucked! pulled off rear diff cover to check gears, and i saw something very disturbing. REAR DIFF was BONE dry. all gears are charcoal black. Looks like the gears were sitting in a fire. Is this a bad sign? Are my gears gonna need replacing? metal shavings were all over the diff cover, and all over the plug. And i just had a rear diff service done back in February. Could they have forgotten to put fluid back in my diff?
I believe my truck is now going to the JUNK YARD.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
I agree. Search around and find the reciept for the service that shop did and go back and tell them what you found.

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
I believe my truck is now going to the JUNK YARD.
A rear axle swap is hardly worth sending it to the junk yard... however, a trip to the boneyard for some parts is in order...

·
Registered
636 Posts
A shop here did the same thing on mine. They put in a brand new Yukon Gear axleshaft before I bought it. I had the wobbling, too. I did the research and found the right part number and specs. I told them they could either replace the axleshaft (which would have been the correct way) or they could fabricate a center hub bushing to take up the slack, as that was the only thing out of spec with it. They chose the latter. (maybe it's not the absolutely correct way, but it is accepatble to my standards.)

·
Registered
296 Posts
At what speed did you start to feel the wobble? My '90 is fine up until I hit 63 mph, then it feels like I'm in the middle of an earthquake. I'm hoping my tires are just out of balance...but if that's not it, at least I'll know what else to check.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Mine was more when I hit the brakes. I did have some at all speeds and conditions. The hub centers the drum and the wheel, even though the lugnuts do a deceent job of centering the wheel. If you just have it at 63 MPH, its probably a balance problem.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i felt mine worse just barely going anywhere @ 2-5mhp. then it would kinda clear up the faster i went, you could still feal the wobble but i think alot has to do with the burnt up gears. i maybe putting another rear end in it because the shop is having a adjuster come out and look at the gears, i removed the diff plate and left it off and now the shop says they may not be held responsible for the damages because i removed the plate?? WTF? I knew in the back of my mind if i hadnt removed the plate to show them the gears, they may have just put gl5 in the diff and said it was fine. these ass holes forgot to put oil back in it when they did the diff service and now my gears are burnt all to hell and back. and now i may have to eat the cost of a new rear end?

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hub

95_G&W_XLT said:
A shop here did the same thing on mine. They put in a brand new Yukon Gear axleshaft before I bought it. I had the wobbling, too. I did the research and found the right part number and specs. I told them they could either replace the axleshaft (which would have been the correct way) or they could fabricate a center hub bushing to take up the slack, as that was the only thing out of spec with it. They chose the latter. (maybe it's not the absolutely correct way, but it is accepatble to my standards.)
hey bro how did they fab a center hub bushing to take up the slack on your hub so your drum woulf fit properly?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts