Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so, hear me out on this. I have not had this problem till I installed the Warn Manual Hubs. I torque them down to recommended spec. But the two locking nuts keep backing out. I have no clue how. My mind can't wrap around how this keeps happening. Is there something I forgot to install? I know it goes locking but with tab, then spacer which one of the several holes goes into that tab, then the last nut. Each nut has a set torque that is specified. I'm just completely lost. I'm about to buy a new set of the locking nuts for both sides. Now it's only the driver side that keeps doing this...

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,098 Posts
Do you have the nut with the pin installed first? Is the pin still on the nut or is it sheered off? Is the pin facing outward??

The spacer with the holes should slide onto the grove on the spindle

The spacer holds onto the spindle by the way of the inside tab, and locks the pin on the inner nut to keep it from spinning. If it keeps coming loose, then that inside tab could be worn out and needs to be replaced. Check the spindle too. It just may have a groove in it now allowing the center spacer to turn.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,098 Posts
TIP:

I find that once the inner nut is torqued to spec, when you place the spacer and the holes don't line up with the pin, flip the spacer over. It offsets the holes just enough that it should allow the pin to go into a hole in one of the sides.

·
Man of endless projects
9,290 Posts
ive bought those Stage 8 spindle nuts a long time ago. they do come with instructions IIRC but a few months later when I had to take them apart I couldn't remember exactly how to do it and ended up destroying them trying.

honestly I prefer the regular 3 piece system. but it does have some issues. as Steve said, the pin usually does push back in instead of break but on some aftermarket versions they do actually break cause the pin is part of it. also as if the nub on the spacer isn't very good, it will spin when torqing the outter nut which damages it and the threads and makes it stuck and really hard to get out without breaking. ive seen alot of torque specs for that outter nut, think even one as high as 450ft/lb but getting it even close to that high will cause a good spacer to spin. ive had them spin before getting to 150ft/lb so I ususally just make by feel to about 100ish

1 - 7 of 7 Posts