Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 Bronco
ABS front

Got all 6 shocks, 2 hubs with rotors for ABS. seals, bearings and other stuff, now I am ready to go.
5 shocks easy last 1 had to be the trouble maker.
driver side front of axel, I snapped the stud welded to the frame!:banghead

Any1 know if it is easier to drill out? or will a dam good punch knock the welds out of the old 1?

going to take the old hub off... pretty pieces fall out from the auto lockers:banghead
1st trip to Advance for manual hubs
seal dont fit just right.
2nd trip to Advance to address the issue... I was told it is correct
2nd attempt... call have a discussion with manager... he sends some 1 out to take a look
:whiteflag allright I wish I could post pics but I am not that savy. there r 2 seals in the package. 1 looks like a normal seal that all of us have put on before in our lifetime. the 2nd looks like a double cup with a metal ring inside.
that 1 seemed to work and seal stuff out and grease in. Any1 ever run into this?
also the rotor has some type of retainingring like a big race for a bearing that the seal mates to. weird.
all this was on the edge of my comfort zone... too many well sorta looks right for me.
Finally!
the manual hub from waren
ford has a steel ring , plastic ring, splined ring, with a "C" clip in the groove for a thrust "management, system fixer"??
if i put this on i caint get the outershaft retaining ring on the axel shaft... which i know I have to have, or so i have been told by the instructions 3 times.
i take off the 3 rings and the outer shaft clip goes on. but i still dont have room to put on the outside big circular ring. i need just a smidge more for it to work...
suggestions?
BTW it was 93 in the shade with 60% humidity so yeah i am frustrated.

Thanks Fert

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep yep so you dont "have to have" the thrust washers?
also I didnt c where you put on the outer axel retainer, but i did c where u put on the big outer ring... which i dont have enough room for.
how much "adjusting force" did it take for the locker hub to slide in for u?
i just tapped mine with my palm.

Fert

·
Premium Member
489 Posts

Yes, everything comes out except the bearings. The new spindle nuts are the ones at the top of the picture. The first one that goes in is the one with the "tit" to the outside, then the washer with holes (with one hole lined up with the "tit"), then the outer locknut, then the new lockout hub body, then the the small and large snap rings, and finally the cap.

Have you already got the new spindle nuts? They are sold seperately from the locking hub kit.

The hub body should just slide in rather easily.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
new nuts went in good, got match on spacer ring first try.
the problem is for 1995-1996 there is 3 rings steel (inner), plastic (middle), splined (outer) that r for thrust issues.
according to waren and the repair manual i bought these need to b there. but put them in and the hub doesnt slide in far enough to put the axel retainer ring on.
the pics were great to help a memory from 20 yrs ago from the last time i did this
Thanks Fert

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so to basically sum this up...
1. if the thrust washers arent onwith the manual hubs will that destroy anything?
2. if that big outer ring isnt on will that destroy anything?

Thanks Fert

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Those washers do not need to be in there at all.

The large outer retaining ring needs to be on there to keep the lockout in the hub cavity. I hear people say that the small snap ring on the end of the axle doesn't have to be on there as long as you have the large outer one, but I have both rings on mine.:shrug

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i called warren today, washers not needed.

all i can figure out now is advance gave me the wrong hub assembly. there isnt enough room to get the locker in far enough to pu the outer ring on. also it has been "redesigned" supposibly.
it is about 1/4 inch short of space.
*this is all me and 2 other mechanics can figure out*

Fert

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update: well evidently these press apart. every 1 i have ever done before was seperate to begin with or was 1 piece all ready.

so advance is getting the right parts now, especially since their computer said it was 1 piece, and the book wasnt right either, and hopefully i will get it on sometime in the next few days

Fert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts