Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
What?
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cant get these studs out of my hub. i put a block of wood on the so i didnt damage the front of the stud where the lugnuts go on and i hammered but they wouldnt budge. sm i doing this right? do i pound them through from the back side where the abs ring was? sorry for the tarded question but i dont want to break anything

·
Registered
411 Posts
Its possible the wood is absorbing too much of the impact. I've always used a small single hand held sledge, and double wrap the studs with an old rag to not damage the threads - usually only takes one swift well aimed blow. If you do damage the threads the studs are real cheap to replace. The only time you pound them from the back side (hee-hee :toothless) is when your installing them.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,473 Posts
:popc1: I think what your saying is that you can't get your spindle studs out. Is this correct? What are you doing, ball joint job maybe?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Buy new bolts for like $5? I was able to pound out mine pretty easy, and without damage, but I wasn't using a block of wood. Just straight on hits with a small mallet. I still bought new bolts though, for the cost it wasn't worth reusing the old ones for me.

-

·
What?
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its possible the wood is absorbing too much of the impact. I've always used a small single hand held sledge, and double wrap the studs with an old rag to not damage the threads - usually only takes one swift well aimed blow. If you do damage the threads the studs are real cheap to replace. The only time you pound them from the back side (hee-hee :toothless) is when your installing them.
no you got it right. ill give this a shot. this whole brake job is being a real bitch

·
Registered
274 Posts
Put an old lug nut on them with 1-2 threads sticking past the stud and hammer on that. Or use a piece of brass or copper. You'll do more damage with a small hammer and multiple hits than one well placed hit with a big hammer. I have a sledge in my toolbox that has the handle cut down to about 8" that works great for such things.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You beat me to it "pushnfords" , putting a lugnut on there works every time, also gives you a bigger target.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts