Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey maybe its a crazy thought and may never happen, but, a buddy of mind wrecked his bonneville, last week, and is gonna scrap it, and i thought i might pull the heads up display out and put it in my bronco, am i crazy or would this be a cool mod, just looking for a little input

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
That would be pretty cool. But getting it to work might be an issue, but still worth trying it out.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
wont work different galss on the the bonnie than the bronco. that and different computer. On the GTP the heads up all fed off of the computer. There are too many variables on the bronco that wont let it work.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
No... it wont work. Maybe if you had a mid 90's GM product you could do it but a mid eighties Ford with mid 90's GM electronics no way

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Dat_Bronco_Boi said:
not even off of a after market wireing harness and comp? it was just a crazy though
Who would make such a rats nest of a converter mess?

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
No it wouldnt work, one look at speed sensors, and shit like that. man the GTP hud had so much shit on it, most of the time i turned it off.

·
Registered
213 Posts
When we had our 97 Grand Prix, I put a HUD in it (got one from a GTP model, ours didn't come with it)--and had to wire it up from scratch.
A lot of the wiring is pretty straight forward, stuff like:
Turn signals
High beam indicator
Low fuel light
power and ground

Those things would probably work, what would be the major stopping point is the radio display (not all GM HUDs have this) that requires the GM radio and the speed display, that uses the signal from the VSS to the speedo (IIRC, 4000 pulses per mile or something like that)

As far as the glass issue, there have been numerous debates about that on the GM forums--some say if you don't have the "special" HUD windshield you won't be able to see it. Other's say the special windshield simply has passed a higher quality check for clarity in the HUD area. I can tell you for sure that the HUD was perfectly visible on the non-special windshield, so I don't know if I just got lucky or what

Another thing that will be a pain is the fact that the HUD is about 8" wide, 2 1/2" tall, and close to 6" deep; and is recessed into the dash before the trim cover goes on over it. There is also the matter of the adjustment mechanism--the GTP uses a switch and motor to adjust height, but my Bonneville used a cable and lever that was mounted on the dash--one more thing to have to hassle with

Yes, I typed a whole bunch of crap just to get to the point that it ain't worth it--just like everyone else said

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
the glass for the HUD is GM specific and they put it in all the cars i believe

just like your prix, even though it didnt have it, had a space for hud coomponents.

like said before it would be cool and all, but to spend that much money and time to tell how fast i was going and if it is warm outside. no thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
the glass for the HUD is GM specific and they put it in all the cars i believe
Nope, there are actually two different part numbers, and two far different prices--one for HUD, equipped, one without. According to the Safelite website; non-HUD=~$195, with HUD=~$275. This at least holds true for the ~97 era Grand Prixs, and the ~96 era Bonnevilles; things may have changed. These are some of the things I checked out prior to the retrofit, and was even told that sometimes the HUD may appear blurry due to the different window

imlikeojnow said:
just like your prix, even though it didnt have it, had a space for hud coomponents.
Well, yes and no--there was room inside the dash for it, but there was no wiring for it, and the dash had to be cut to fit the HUD--there were holes for the trim piece clips, but the gaping hole for the HUD had to be done via jigsaw/dremel/explosives/whatever; some people managed to do it in place, I was replacing the passenger airbag at the same time, so I just removed the entire dash (not fun, in case you were wondering)

Again, without the proper sensors and speed pickup, it ain't gonna work anyway, so I figure it's a moot point.

But Dat_Bronco_Boi gets an "E" for effort anyway

1 - 12 of 12 Posts