Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I pulled the trigger and got this thing layed out finaly started yesterday morning don't know when I stop today. I am conceiling my winch in the center of the bumper it will go in from the bottom so thieving types have their work cut-out. I am also going to adding lights and chain storage in the center section.

This is my general idea what I am buildiing

I used cardboard to get the outline of how the old bumper fit.

winch mounting plate I will be using mached up for fitting

43 deg approach angle on 35's

side plates cut, drilled, and ground

FF about 3hrs and 2 trips to pick up the kids and them drop them off again

outer bumpers

My high tech metal bending tool cloaked as a Ford Ranger

Nearly done all thats left is everthing

On the truck to check fit and mark ends for caps

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's how we roll Dude.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looks good. I love diamond plate.

·
Registered
140 Posts
What is the point of the 43 degree approach to the tire? Better lines?

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the point of the 43 degree approach to the tire? Better lines?
Just for reference with the current tires and I wanted to use my newest tool I got from an aircraft maint. facility auction.;)

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why is it cold again? I can't work on my stuff.

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
Looks pretty good so far. However, I don't like the use of checker plate, but that's just me.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
I am not real big on the diamond plate either, besides that it looks good. A little tip on using a torch too, turn the heat down some and it will cut better without all of the slag and build up. When you get it started reduce it down to where the tip of the flame is slightly flared. Also you can set you oxy by holding your finger in front of the tip(before the fire) and set it to where it blows just past the thickness of the metal. When you pull the lever with your finger in front it should dimple your finger at about the distance of the thickness of the material. I hope that makes sense, I am bad at explaining things sometimes. When you get it set right the litlle slag left should fall off by raking a slag pick across it saving you some grinder work.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not real big on the diamond plate either, besides that it looks good. A little tip on using a torch too, turn the heat down some and it will cut better without all of the slag and build up. When you get it started reduce it down to where the tip of the flame is slightly flared. Also you can set you oxy by holding your finger in front of the tip(before the fire) and set it to where it blows just past the thickness of the metal. When you pull the lever with your finger in front it should dimple your finger at about the distance of the thickness of the material. I hope that makes sense, I am bad at explaining things sometimes. When you get it set right the litlle slag left should fall off by raking a slag pick across it saving you some grinder work.
If I wasn't using a #2 tip to cut 1/8" probably would make a big difference too, but thanks for the tip. My smaller tips are in a tool box 60mi away and grinding wheels are cheaper than gas so on with the job. I was going to work on this more this week but I volunteered for O/T this week and one day turned to 2 then to 3 and now I will be working 12 days straight until my next 4 off but the Dumpster gods at work smiled on me Monday and a co-worker pointed out that there were two sizeable pieces of new 1/4" diamond plate waiting for me to pluck them from the junk pile. What can I say everybody loves the Bronco. Waltman I have a suprise in this thing for you to I think you'll like it. Bronconut I am gonna get down that way here soon and take a run at a couple mud holes and trails with ya.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
Sounds like a winner! I will have mine back on the road in the next week or so. I have the brakes, I will be getting the shocks and lock outs next week. I am looking forward to breaking something, I told the wife that the shafts wont last long so she is expecting it within the first couple trips. I am hoping to get some chromos for the front before rits.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope the Easter bunny will drop off a front D60 his year.:haha

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If by traffic you mean those big brown things in the woods they are hardly predictable in my offroading experience.

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
If I wasn't using a #2 tip to cut 1/8" probably would make a big difference too, but thanks for the tip. My smaller tips are in a tool box 60mi away and grinding wheels are cheaper than gas so on with the job. I was going to work on this more this week but I volunteered for O/T this week and one day turned to 2 then to 3 and now I will be working 12 days straight until my next 4 off but the Dumpster gods at work smiled on me Monday and a co-worker pointed out that there were two sizeable pieces of new 1/4" diamond plate waiting for me to pluck them from the junk pile. What can I say everybody loves the Bronco. Waltman I have a suprise in this thing for you to I think you'll like it. Bronconut I am gonna get down that way here soon and take a run at a couple mud holes and trails with ya.
Oh? You've peaked my interest now.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts