Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was setting up an order for a remote filter kit and got "Some parts are not legal for sale or use in California on any pollution controlled motor vehicles." The kit was the only thing on the order! Could this possibly be correct? :scratchhe

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
It's most likely a "cover their ass" legal attachment for anything sold to CA the Sue me state. It's sad I know, I live here too.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Summit and Jegs are bad on that. If they ask if its for a pollutiuon controlled veichle, tell them its off road use only and they will sell you anything for it

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks y'all. I'll go ahead and order it.

I tried ordering last night, but got stuck in some sort of "Verified by VISA" system that it seems my card or bank doesn't agree with :banghead, so I'll have to call it in this morning.

Side note; I've seen someone refer to a special tranny fluid filter, but the filter that comes with the Perma-cool kit just says "oil filter" on it. Is there such a thing or are they just refering to a higher quality oil filter? I cross-referenced the one they refered to with a K&N oil filter, and figured I'd upgrade to that one after a week.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
iolaus said:
Thanks y'all. I'll go ahead and order it.

I tried ordering last night, but got stuck in some sort of "Verified by VISA" system that it seems my card or bank doesn't agree with :banghead, so I'll have to call it in this morning.

Side note; I've seen someone refer to a special tranny fluid filter, but the filter that comes with the Perma-cool kit just says "oil filter" on it. Is there such a thing or are they just refering to a higher quality oil filter? I cross-referenced the one they refered to with a K&N oil filter, and figured I'd upgrade to that one after a week.
Ryan (Fireguy)

has found an industrial quality transmission oil filter, which he changes only once a year. Do a search with the words "Fireguy transmission filter remote sixlitre " and it should come up. I think his is a NAPA unit IIRC.

Personally, if your ATF is fairly clean, I'd slap a $3.00 filter on and put a second one on in a weeks time, then after a month, then whenever you do your engine oil and filter changes.

After the cheapies have caught most of the "initial" foreign particulate then you can slap the expensive once a year filter on and it'll have a chance to last a year (instead of getting all the crap into it within a week).

Remember to splash in some ATF into the filter to prime each filter. IMHO I'd rather change the cheap filters more often, than slap an expensive one on just once a year. Many others would disagree I'm sure,

Sixlitre

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sixlitre said:
Ryan (Fireguy) has found an industrial quality transmission oil filter, which he changes only once a year. Do a search with the words "Fireguy transmission filter remote sixlitre " and it should come up. I think his is a NAPA unit IIRC.
Yeah, that was the one I was refering to; it was a WIX 51622.
After the cheapies have caught most of the "initial" foreign particulate then you can slap the expensive once a year filter on and it'll have a chance to last a year (instead of getting all the crap into it within a week).
That was my thinking. So you think I ought to give it a couple of cycles before putting in the good one huh?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
iolaus said:
That was my thinking. So you think I ought to give it a couple of cycles before putting in the good one huh?
If you ever do;)

All filters get dirty and catch particulate, true some are better than others.

BUT ! If you get a pile of crud in the best filter, early in the 12 month cycle, do you really want it working at less than it's best the remaining 11 months ?

When my Bronco was my DD (for 7 years up until Katrina), I changed my trans filter every month with my engine oil and filter (I did 2000+ miles a month).

Sixlitre

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Yeah I stick with a FL-1A and change it everytime I change the oil. If I were to switch to the Wix filter I'd still change it everytime I changed the oil and do the trans internal filter and fluid change yearly. That trans(E4OD) cost me a lot of money to get rebuilt and I don't want to do it again.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RLKBOB said:
Yeah I stick with a FL-1A and change it everytime I change the oil. If I were to switch to the Wix filter I'd still change it everytime I changed the oil and do the trans internal filter and fluid change yearly. That trans(E4OD) cost me a lot of money to get rebuilt and I don't want to do it again.
Yeah, I've paid for a rebuild as well; that's why I decided to install this, and a cooler that I pulled off an F-250 as well.

I figure that, being in SoCal, most of my dirt will be desert, so cooling things is my first priority. Next is an engine oil cooler, and I'm also interested in finding out more about this dealership stocked "super cooling" shroud that someone was talking about; maybe I can find one in the junk yard if I know what I'm looking for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.