Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Humiliating question...

2K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  njbuck 
#1 ·
I'm trying to do some work on my boyfriend's 1990 for V-Day and - yes, it's humiliating - I can't get the hood open. If anyone knows how to get the hood open, and I'm sure that's everyone but me, I humbly beg for your help.

It's got virtually every original spring and coil, so I'm sure the latch is factory-issue. It's been popped, but I'm not sure how to get it from simply popped to open all the way. I've been feeling around in there for about an hour trying to find some sort of latch, and I just can't find it.

Thank you so much, and please feel free to snicker, I have no shame.

#2 ·
iirc, on my 89, the first hood release handle was inside the cab down on the kick panel by your left foot (when you are sitting in the driver's seat). You must first give that a good yank in order to pop the hood partially open.

then, again if i recall correctly, you need to go out to the hood, press slightly down on it (don't close it, just push it down slightly), and then put your hand inside the grill right near the center part of the hood, and feel for the latch which you should be able to push (left, right or towards you, i can't remember the direction it moves), this will release the hood fully so you can open it.

good luck.

#4 ·
Dat_Bronco_Boi said:
there is a catch on the front center of the hood if you lift the hood enough to look under, you should be able to see it and the piece you push to make the lever move
Its in the grill after 86, not under the hood. Jackhart has the discription pretty correct I think. (Never thought about which way to push the lever, but I think its to the left)

#5 ·
kiska said:
I'm trying to do some work on my boyfriend's 1990 for V-Day and - yes, it's humiliating - I can't get the hood open. If anyone knows how to get the hood open, and I'm sure that's everyone but me, I humbly beg for your help.

It's got virtually every original spring and coil, so I'm sure the latch is factory-issue. It's been popped, but I'm not sure how to get it from simply popped to open all the way. I've been feeling around in there for about an hour trying to find some sort of latch, and I just can't find it.

Thank you so much, and please feel free to snicker, I have no shame.
What do you plan to do, nothing too elaborate I suppose? Oil/filter, change plugs, cap, rotor, wires kinda stuff? If so, before you go pulling the wires, post up here for the correct procedure beforehand. It will save you a headache after the fact. I have seen umteen posts from newbs that went pulling wires to do a tuneup, and somehow got them all screwy and then posted up their truck sputters and won't run and wantin' to know why.

Good luck. that's a nice gift. still searching for that perfect woman that likes to work on vehicles with her guy.:twotu:

#6 ·
stangmata50l said:
If you'll help do the SAS on my rig I'll wear a dress and bake cookies for you all day long. :toothless

That just aint right...:twak

#8 ·
I'm sure I'm not the only who thinks this (except for the cookie guy) but if it takes an hour to open the hood...I don't think that you should do ANY work on the bronco. :goodfinge Our broncos are Sacred to us...and I'm sure that you're a nice person and all but...maybe a good gift certificate placed on his dash board may be a better idea.

#12 ·
stangmata50l said:
If you'll help do the SAS on my rig I'll wear a dress and bake cookies for you all day long. :toothless
Dont be fooled you dont have to help him with anything and he will do that stuff

#13 ·
B-man said:
You guys are too much.. LOL

Hell, if this was a bro asking this question. Y'all would be slinging it thick..:toothless

i agree. but with the leg humpers in here.

#14 ·
Million$dragon said:
I'm sure I'm not the only who thinks this (except for the cookie guy) but if it takes an hour to open the hood...I don't think that you should do ANY work on the bronco.
Yeah, that was the first thing I thought, too. I dunno how your boyfriend is, but I get all bent outta shape if someone [usually my dad] works on either of my Broncos without asking/telling me first. Hell, you shoulda seen the fight we got in because he changed the oil when I told him not to. :toothless

I do think the latch is through the upper portion of the grill though, and pull it to the right when lightly pushing the hood down. Funny how things you do on a regular basis and you can't think of how to do it when someone asks. It's just habit opening the hood.

#15 ·
You're most kind, gentlemen

I finally figured it out. Here in Alaska, we have to put covers over our grills, you know, because it's just a bit chilly. My honey managed to jam his covers in soooo tight that I couldn't pry them off - and didn't want to (in case it wasn't in there) - and thusly, the lever was hidden. But I wouldn't have known where to look without you all - so thank you. Got off the right cover, pushed the lever to the left (thank you) and got 'er all good and ready to install an...auto-start (because I know you're curious). And a good tune-up.

Been working on cars all my life, not too worried about screwing his up. Trust me, I know how you Bronco owners can be about your babies. He and I always work on his car together, but he's usually got the hood open when I get to the garage.

Gentlemen, and potentially ladies (uh, I'm one), I thank you very much.

#19 ·
kiska said:
I finally figured it out. Here in Alaska, we have to put covers over our grills, you know, because it's just a bit chilly. My honey managed to jam his covers in soooo tight that I couldn't pry them off - and didn't want to (in case it wasn't in there) - and thusly, the lever was hidden. But I wouldn't have known where to look without you all - so thank you. Got off the right cover, pushed the lever to the left (thank you) and got 'er all good and ready to install an...auto-start (because I know you're curious). And a good tune-up.

Been working on cars all my life, not too worried about screwing his up. Trust me, I know how you Bronco owners can be about your babies. He and I always work on his car together, but he's usually got the hood open when I get to the garage.

Gentlemen, and potentially ladies (uh, I'm one), I thank you very much.
I think I am in love!

#21 ·
stangmata50l said:
looks like that latter part got changed a bit, thankfully.

The boy ain't right....Don't he know he's just too dang hairy.

#22 ·
Oh boy, I have all these jokes about headlight fluid, and left-handed spark plugs running though my head. :toothless

But all I'll say is this...

...The hood latch also serves as the child-proof cap of Bronco's. ;)

Good luck with your install.

#24 ·
Been working on cars all my life, not too worried about screwing his up. Trust me, I know how you Bronco owners can be about your babies. He and I always work on his car together, but he's usually got the hood open when I get to the garage
Well here goes me being the resident asshole.

I am going to have to call BS on this whole been working on cars my whole life thing. you couldnt even get the freakin hood up.

#26 ·
imlikeojnow said:
Well here goes me being the resident asshole.

I am going to have to call BS on this whole been working on cars my whole life thing. you couldnt even get the freakin hood up.
nah, i could see it. they have the bonnets or whatever those things are called cause they live in A to the K and it is freakin' cold. I also would be hoping the latch did not have to be accessed from the grill and was like on most other machines where you can reach it just under the hood. so, she had to take that cover off and then install remote starter. what a sweetheart. i am just wowed at how great of a gift that is when you live in the north.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.